The nominations for WFUNA Young Leader of the Year award are open! WFUNA supports and encourages youth engagement and participation in the United Nations Associations and United Nations Youth Associations around the world through the WFUNA Youth Network. With this initiative, they want to highlight the contributions of thousands of young people to their organization and share their achievements with a wider audience. In commemoration of International Youth Day 2020, they are launching a call for nominations for WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
Every year, WFUNA sets a theme and calls for nominations for young people from the WFUNA Youth Network working within that theme. From the nominations, the WFUNA Secretary-General and WFUNA Youth Advisory Council select three young leaders to be interviewed. After each nominee is interviewed, a final candidate will be selected as the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
The WFUNA Young Leader of 2020 theme is focused on highlighting the role young people play in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and marking the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations amid a moment of uncertainty for the entire world. The challenges are widespread starting from the most immediate health implications to the long term effects on the economy and social structures. With the Sustainable Development Goals to be met in 2030, their response and action as a society will mark the difference in whether they favour unilateralism or multilateralism to respond to global challenges.
Apart from being able to state proudly that you have been selected as WFUNA Young Leader of 2020, you might be able to:
- Participate in WFUNA’s awareness-raising campaigns and advocacy efforts
- Engage in panel discussions, workshops, training sessions facilitated by WFUNA
- Free participation in WFUNA’s programs, such as the Human Rights Youth Training in Geneva, WIMUN, Mission Possible, etc.
They encourage nominations of young people that are working to:
- Participate actively in efforts to respond to the pandemic, either as frontline workers or through indirect support;
- Contribute to challenging negative stereotypes associated with young people seen as spoilers to an effective response;
- Find creative and innovative solutions to continue implementing youth programs amidst challenges posed by COVID-19;
- Make upholding human rights central to recovery plans;
- Strengthen solidarity and cooperation between peoples and nations.
In addition, the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year is:
- Between 15-29 years old
- A member of a United Nations Association or United Nations Youth Association
Nominate a young person through the given link.
Application Deadline: September 20, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link