Established in 1995, the Awards aim to give freelance journalists the recognition they deserve, rewarding the most outstanding work produced each year and highlighting their significant contribution to the international media industry.
For over 25 years, the Rory Peck Awards has been celebrating the work of freelance journalists working in news and current affairs worldwide. These are the freelance reporters, filmmakers, photojournalists and camera operators who play a vital role in international newsgathering – and in keeping independent journalism alive.
Across four categories, the Awards honor quality and impact of work but also take into account individual endeavor and journalistic integrity.
- News Award, sponsored by Google News Initiative
This award recognizes the work of freelance journalists in the video coverage of a news event where the focus is on the immediacy of the story. Duration: up to 10 minutes
*Agency feeds are accepted in this category. Portfolio submissions & camera rushes are not.
- News Features Award
This award recognizes the work of freelance journalists in video news features that take a more in-depth look at a story, beyond the immediacy of the news. Duration: up to 30 minutes
- Sony Impact Award for Current Affairs, sponsored by Sony
This award recognizes the work of freelance journalists working in long-form current affairs video/film that examines a single issue, story or situation and has an impact on the viewer, policy, or public awareness. Duration: up to 60 minutes
- Martin Adler Prize, supported by the Embassy of Sweden
This Award honors a local freelance journalist or field producer working in any medium, whose work with international media outlets has made a significant contribution to newsgathering, either through a single story or body of work. The aim of the prize is to highlight the dedication and talent of local freelancers who often work under challenging and difficult circumstances within their own country, and who go largely unrecognized. You may list up to a maximum of three examples of work for the entry.
*The Martin Adler Prize is a unique chance to give global recognition to someone you have commissioned, admired, worked with or relied upon. You cannot nominate or enter yourself for this category.
- Only work by freelance journalists or filmmakers* is eligible for entry.
- Entries must have been the first broadcast/published between 1 August 2020 and 4 August 2021 inclusive.
- All entries must be submitted and titled as first broadcast/published.
- All entries must have been broadcast/published by a recognized media outlet.
- Re-versions of previously submitted entries will not be accepted.
- You cannot submit the same entry into more than one category.
*For the purposes of the Rory Peck Awards, the term “freelance” is defined as someone who gathers and generates stories, images and footage for professional news and current affairs platforms. He/she will not have a permanent or rolling contract or salary, but may be on a retainer with one or more organizations, work to commission or be paid by the piece. This includes those who may supplement their income by other means.Eligible Regions: Open for All
- Apply online through the Apply Now Link.
- Complete the online entry form: You must fully complete and submit your entry form online.
- Upload digital files: Your entry must be submitted as broadcast/published and uploaded with your entry form as a high-resolution digital file. The preferred format for film and video is is .MOV H264 (1920 x 1080), without timecodes. The file should be clearly titled with the name of the entrant and entry title.
- Submit any supporting materials: Entries not in English must be accompanied by a detailed and accurate storyline and translation, uploaded to the online entry form.
- Pay the entry fee: Each entry costs £25. Entrants may submit any number of entries into any number of categories, but a separate online entry form and entry fee will be required for each. All proceeds from the Rory Peck Awards contribute to the running costs of the trust and its charitable grants.
Application Deadline: August 4, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link