Online registration is open for the Milken-Motsepe Prize in AgriTech 2021! Apply now!
The inaugural Milken-Motsepe Prize focuses on accelerating progress towards Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 1 and 2: no poverty and zero hunger. The Milken-Motsepe Prize in AgriTech is a global competition for innovative solutions to increase economic value to farmers, from seed to sale. It addresses the problems faced by farmers on small to medium-sized farms in Africa. More broadly, it is designed to accelerate progress toward the first two SDGs: eradicating poverty and eliminating hunger. Increasing productivity and value to small and medium-sized farms is critical for solving global hunger. They believe the builders, the dreamers, the creative, collaborative minds will help us accelerate progress and create a more equitable, sustainable, and abundant future.
Competition Rounds: The Prize competition consists of two rounds: an eight-month Design Round and a one-year Finalist Round.
Design round– Teams submit their design and business model. An independent panel of expert judges will select up to 25 teams to receive $10,000 each and advance in the competition.
Finalist round– Teams develop their prototypes and conduct field tests on small and medium-sized farms in Africa.
In addition to the chance to win cash prizes, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program provides a rich set of opportunities for entrepreneurs-
Online Community– Simply complete the free prize registration process and you will join an online community of other entrepreneurs. The prize portal will give you access to:
- Team matchmaking
- Resources for entrepreneurs
- Online training & help desk
Certificate Program– Teams will receive a 12-week experiential learning program powered by the Stanford Center for Professional Development Idea to Market curriculum. Upon completion of the program, teams will receive a Certificate of Completion:
- Stanford center for professional development certificate of completion
- Mentoring from industry experts
- Pitch & feedback sessions
Alumni Network– Winning teams will join the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize program alumni network following prize completion, with access to:
- Data analysis
- Networking opportunities
- The winning team will receive a $1 million grand prize, with $1 million in additional prizes.
- Again, winning teams will increase net economic value to small and medium-sized farms by:
- Developing innovative technology solutions for any stage of the food system, from seed to sale
- Designing a viable business model
- Increasing farm productivity and/or decreasing post-harvest loss
In addition to the opportunity for prize money, teams will benefit with-
- From being part of the community. Among other things, teams will have
- Access to free resources and webinars that cover topics including design, business plan development, pitching to investors, and more. Further resources will be announced in the coming months!
- Free enrollment to a 12-week experiential learning program powered by the Stanford Center for Professional Development Idea to Market (I2M) entrepreneurship curriculum that empowers participants to transform their mindset and build successful, sustainable startups with impact
- Participants who complete the program will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Stanford Center for Professional Development.
- Anyone is eligible to register regardless of age, geographic location*, or any other factor. If someone has a great idea, they can participate
- Minors will require someone of the majority age to sign legal documents on the team’s behalf
*Please note that a team may not include any individual or entity organized anywhere prohibited by US law.Eligible Regions: Open for all.
To begin the process of competing, individuals will have to-
- Register on the prize portal and create a member profile using their name and email address
- When individuals are ready to register a team, they will update their profile in the portal as a team leader and provide their team name, team avatar, countries represented by their team, and a brief description of their team. Teams do not need to list individual team members
- Each team must be registered by a team leader. The team leader must be age of majority and will be responsible for maintaining a roster of all team members and for their ongoing compliance with the Competition Rules and Competitor Agreement
To register please click on Apply Now.
Application Deadline: December 8, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link