The 2021 Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award Competition is now open!
Created in 1989, The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation has its own Constitution, Officers and independent Board of Trustees.
Each year, The Foundation administers the Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award. The competition is designed to motivate non-American novice writers under the age of 30, and offer them the recognition and encouragement that might lead to a successful career in television scriptwriting. Entrants are asked to create a completed half-hour to one-hour English-language television drama script.
Sir Peter Ustinov, the quintessential writer, director, and performer, graciously gave his name to the Foundation’s Television Scriptwriting Award. In addition to his acting career, Sir Peter Ustinov was an accomplished writer, as proven by the 23 plays he wrote.
- The winner will be flown to New York City to be presented with an award and a USD $2,500 prize at the International Emmy World Television Festival on November 20, 2021.
- The winning script will be read by actors in front of an audience at the Festival.
- The winner will be invited to take part in the red carpet festivities at the 49th International Emmy® Awards on November 22, 2021.
- The Applicant must be a non-U.S. citizen (non-U.S. citizens currently studying in the U.S. are eligible.)
- The Applicant must not have reached his/her 30th birthday as of December 31, 2021.
- The Applicant must be a minimum of 18 years of age upon completion of entry form.
- The Applicant cannot be an Employee or a relative of a staff member of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
- The Applicant must deliver an original completed DRAMA script for television (Drama Series: A dramatic production in which theme, storyline, and main characters are presented under the same title.)
- The script must be submitted in English.
- The script must be a minimum of a half-hour and a maximum of one-hour commercial length.
- The script should be a stand-alone or pilot script, not a random episode that is part of a series.
- Entries must be original work of the participant.
- All Applicants must complete the entry and release forms to be eligible.
- Applicants must not have had a script, or contributed any written words, to any fiction material originally produced for and aired on television or distributed over-the-top (digitally) prior to date of entry. This includes any credit as story editor; script supervisor; or writer assistant.
- Material that has previously been sold or is currently under option may not be submitted.
- Only one entry per scriptwriter will be accepted.
- If part of a writing team, each scriptwriter must meet all of the eligibility requirements without exception.
- In the event that the winning script has multiple writers, only one writer must be designated to receive the award, prize money, and trip to New York
- Previous winners of this award or any award/fellowship given by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation are not eligible.
- There is no entry fee to submit a script into the competition.
- Your completed Entry Form and Script must be emailed to [email protected] Please include all of the following as separate documents (4 documents) attached to 1 email only (incomplete submissions will not be considered entries):
- A signed copy of the Entry Form (scanned & emailed)
- A (1) page resume or biography of the writer(s)
- Official proof of age (including but not limited to: Passport, Driver’s License, Photo ID…)
- Your script (including a cover page listing the title of the script, the author’s name, address, telephone number and email)
- A version of your script including a cover page listing only the title of the script and the author’s initials must be uploaded to http://upload.iemmys.tv/Ustinov as a PDF file. A summary of the script, totaling no more than 250 words, but no less than 100 words, will be requested on the upload page.
- Upon receipt, all submissions are reviewed to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link