To build a momentum, Okayama city launched the ESD Okayama Award in 2015. The ESD Okayama Award is organized by Okayama City and the ESD Okayama Award Steering Board,composed of organizations which have been promoting ESD in Japan and around the world. The ESD Okayama Award aims to showcase good ESD practices worldwide, and also to further advance SDGs since ESD is a key enabler of the achievement of all targets of SDGs.
The world has become more intertwined and borderless, and what happens at one place affects other parts of the world today. The various challenges that we face, such as poverty, climate change and loss of biodiversity cannot be solved alone.
In order to facilitate action to build sustainable societies around the world, the 17 global goals of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were created to implement in the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, which was adopted by the world leaders in September 2015 at the UN Summit. Furthermore, the new international framework of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) has started since January 2020, which is named “ESD for 2030”. Promoting Education for ESD is now considered critical not only to ensure quality of education but also to achieve all the goals. ESD is expected to be promoted more than ever before. In Okayama, the Okayama ESD Promotion Commission was established in 2005, in conjunction with the launch of “The UN Decade of ESD”, and its Okayama ESD Project was created. Since then, the diverse stakeholders have been working together to promote ESD in the region. Okayama City was the host city for the Stakeholder Meetings of the UNESCO World Conference on ESD in 2014 and played a leading role in accelerating collaborative actions among people working for ESD.
- The prize will be given to up to two projects.
- The prize money is US $3,000 per project.
- Organizations based in any country, including Japan, implementing ESD activities in local communities are eligible to apply for the ESD Okayama Award.
- Only one application per organization can be accepted.
- Projects eligible for this award are ongoing and have been running for at least two years as of April 2022.
- Projects in the planning stages are not eligible.
- The organizations that have won the ESD Okayama Award in the past cannot apply with the awardwinning projects, but can apply with other projects.
- Have to complete the ‘ESD Okayama Award 2022 Application Form’.
- The form must be written in either English or Japanese.
- The form can be downloaded from the URL below.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2022 (11 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link