The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD is an international product design competition that’s all about imagining and creating the future together. It gathers proposals from all around the world and turns outstanding entries into commercial products. It is an international competition for product design that aims to co-create with talented designers and support their activities.
The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2024 will be the 21st competition, and this time, They’ll be calling for works based on the theme “embrace.”
This word carries meanings like “inclusion” and “hugging.” In that same vein, they are looking for product design proposals that make people feel cheerful and positive by accepting and acknowledging the differences between people and the challenges society is facing.
Since its establishment, excellent product designs have been selected from entries that represent current social conditions, and award-winning works have been turned into commercial products through co-creation between KOKUYO developers and the award winners.
By delivering designs to the world that breathe new life into the tools you regularly use in your daily lives and at work as reliable products,
KOKUYO aims to support the future activities of designers and at the same time, bring you a tomorrow you can’t wait for. More than 20 years have passed since the founding of the award, and more than 20 products have been created to date. It is continuing to evolve as a project that conveys value reflecting the times, and not simply as something to be selected and awarded.
NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS ALLOWED
* Entry eligibility is limited to those designs never before shown publicly (in Japan, and other countries).
- Grand Prix (one from all entries) ¥2,000,000 (about $15,000)
- Merit Award (three from all entries) ¥500,000 (about $3,800) per winner
- YOKOKU Award (up to twenty winners) ¥30,000 (about $230) per winner
- The YOKOKU Award is a special award commemorating the 20th anniversary of the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD. It will be awarded to selected student entrants as a way to support their future work.
- Corporations, organizations, individuals, and groups are all welcome, regardless of age, sex, professional background, or nationality.
- Persons who are able to give a presentation at the final judging (March 16, 2024).
- Persons who consent to these Rules.
- Step 1 (Register Your Entrant Information),
- Step 2 (Register Design Information),
- Step 3 (Submit Design) using the ENTRY pages on their website.
Application Deadline: October 11, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link