Can you tell a compelling story in 300 words or less? Then apply for the Bath Flash Fiction Award!
BAFF hosts two international flash fiction writing competitions; the Bath Flash Fiction Award, and the Bath Novella-in-Flash Award. Entrants have the opportunity to appear in their print and digital books. They own a small press, Ad Hoc Fiction, which publishes quality books and also runs a weekly micro-fiction contest. In addition, they organise the UK’s annual Flash Fiction Festival.
The awards are organised by Jude Higgins, with the help of a development team who run our websites and devise new projects. Jude directs the festival, co-runs the international Bath Short Story Award and organises writing events in Bath. She is a writer and writing tutor, holding a Masters Degree in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University.
Bath Flash Fiction Award is self-supporting and not-for-profit. They pride ourselves in our ability to continually develop new ways to promote emerging flash fiction writers and flash fiction in general.
- £1000 First, £300 Second, £100 Third. The judge will choose a further two for commendation, £30 prize for each.
- Entrants retain copyright. First, second, third and two commended fictions are published on our site. Shortlisted and longlisted entries only have their titles and author names published for announcement purposes.
- All entrants will be considered for print publication in our forthcoming Bath Flash Fiction Award Anthology, due out the end of this year.
- Entrants must be 16 years or over.
- Entry is open to everyone; locally, nationally and internationally.
- An entry can only be made by the work’s individual author.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online, been broadcast or won a prize. Non-winning Ad Hoc Fiction eBook entries are exempt, hence are eligible for entry.
- Entries can be on any theme or subject but must be original and written in English. They must also be for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction written for children under 13 years is not eligible.
- Simultaneous submission is permitted. Should your fiction win a prize or be published elsewhere, please let them know so that they may remove your entry from the current Award. They will also refund your entry fee subject to our Refunds rule below.
- Authors retain full worldwide copyright throughout.
- Entry is online via email and only through the gateway on this site. They do not accept postal entries.
- Entries will not be returned so please keep a copy.
- No major corrections or alterations can be made after entries have been received; minor edits – punctuation and spelling – can be made, but only up to the closing date of a round. Contact our help desk.
- There is no limit to the number of entries any single entrant may make.
- Entries are acknowledged by your receiving of a PayPal receipt.
- The standard fee is £9.00 GBP for one submission. Reductions are available for multiple entries and early submission.
- Submissions must be paid for via the PayPal buttons on this site. Payment can be made using your PayPal account or via Credit/Debit card option on the PayPal page.
Application Deadline: October 11, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link