Are you a passionate journalist in Africa excited about the health of the planet, future generations and the global discourses around low-carbon, climate resilient green economic development pathways?
Have you been following international and local conversations on the impact of climate change and environmental pollution on people, communities and economies?
Are you looking to improve your capacity in reporting on these issues? Would you like to win fabulous prizes and secure an all-paid sponsorship to attend and cover the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Katowice, Poland in December 2018?
Then wait no longer – apply now for the ACCER Awards 2018!
Launched during the World Environment Day 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya, the 4th Edition of the African Climate Change and Environmental Reporting (ACCER) Awards aims to incentivize and create a critical mass of journalists reporting on the area of climate change and environment.
The 2018 ACCER Awards contest theme “Changing the Narrative on Environmental Challenges in Africa: the Case of Pollution” will guide participants’ entries and awards based on how they demonstrate information delivery in the following specified categories:
- Online (multi-media)
Potential awardees will present direct entries with brief citations demonstrating how their journalism may have practically enhanced access to information delivery in a specified area in either English or French.
Award Selection criteria will be based on:
- Originality, structure and quality of writing/broadcast
- Creativity: use of relevant interviews and examples to illustrate issues
- Variety of voices/quotes used
- Fluency (quality of the language- engaging writing/radio style, correct spelling and grammar)
- Respect of the prescribed submission format
- Overall Prize:
- Cash reward of US$1000
- Full Sponsorship (including return air ticket, accommodation and other living expenses) for UN Climate Change Conference on 3 – 14 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland
- Fellowship to participate in high-level reporting and training throughout 2019 courtesy of ACCER Awards Partnership.
For more information about ACCER Awards and prizes please visit the official link
- Eligibility: The competition is open to all journalists from Africa and from established media houses: private or public-sector media. Freelance journalists are also eligible.
- Submission Format:
i) Entries must be original pieces written or broadcast in English or French only.
ii) Entries submitted in each category MUST be from between January 2017 – June 2018. Articles published outside the indicated time-frame will not be accepted.
iii) Each candidate will submit only one print (in word) or audio piece (in mp3 format).
iv) All entries are to be submitted in the format below:
- Print word limit: Maximum 1,200 words
- Font: Arial, 12 point
- 5 line spacing
- Audio pieces: Maximum (5) five minutes
- TV pieces: Maximum (5) five minutes
To apply, please submit your entry to [email protected] including a cover page containing the article/broadcast title and author’s name, along with a short biographical note with the following contact details:
- Email Address
- Telephone Number(s)
- Postal Address
- Scanned photocopy of the author’s identification card or passport sent as a jpeg.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link