Sponsored by Pastel Journal, America’s leading magazine devoted to pastel artists, this annual competition offers cash, prizes and publicity to its talented winners. Entries will be prejudged and then finalists will be chosen by the magazine staff. Award winners and honorable mentions will be selected by the jurors named on the competition main page.
- Winners will be featured in the April 2019 issue of Pastel Journal.
- First Prize, Pastel Journal Founder’s Award in memory of Maggie Price
- $5,000 CASH
- Second Prize, Pastel Journal Award of Excellence
- $2,500 CASH
- Third Prize, Ruth Richeson Pastel GOLD Award
- Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $2,000
- Fourth Prize, Richeson Pastel SILVER Award
- Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,500
- Fifth Prize, Richeson Pastel BRONZE Award
- Pastels and Pastel surfaces from Jack Richeson and Company, valued over $1,000
- All entrants should be prepared to be able to send a hi-resolution print-quality replacement file should their entry be among those selected as a winner.
- For publication in Watercolor Artist, these files should be 300 dpi when saved at approximately 8×10 inches, ideally, and 5×7 inches at minimum.
- Work must be at least 80% soft pastel; no oil pastel. Nupastels and other “harder” pastels are considered soft pastels.
- Due to SEC restrictions we are unable to accept entries from Syria, Iran, Sudan or North Korea.
- You must enter online.
- All entries must be submitted as digital files.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit.
- Image requirements for entries: JPG files (Please try to keep the file size under 5 MB to ensure proper uploading).
Application Deadline: September 4, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link