UNDP is looking for Project Manager (NAP) 2021 in Dhaka.
The objective of this project is to formulate the Bangladesh National Adaptation Plan (NAP) with a focus on long term adaptation investment and enhancing national capacity for integration of climate change adaptation in planning, budgeting and financial tracking processes.
- Outcome 1: Strengthened institutional coordination and climate change information and knowledge management for medium- to long-term planning.
- Outcome 2: Adaptation options appraised and prioritized and National Adaptation Plan formulated
- Outcome 3: Climate risk informed decision-making tools developed and piloted by planning and budget departments at national and sectoral levels.
- Outcome 4: Nationally appropriate adaptation investments tracking mechanism set up and financial plan for mid- and long-term CCA implementation prepared.
These outcomes build on each other, with Outcome 1 setting the knowledge foundation and institutional framework for the NAP process, Outcome 2 focused on developing the NAP itself, Outcome 3 connecting the NAP process to the national government via mainstreaming and capacity building programs, and Outcome 4 focused on developing strategies and protocols for funding CCA under the NAP and in the future.
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Planning and key personnel working on Climate Change Adaptation relevant programming in water resources, agriculture and food security, coastal zones, and urban habitation (the “priority sectors”) will be the beneficiaries of this project. Along with the NAP Formulation Process, the Project manager would be responsible for managing projects under the GEF-6 cycle in Bangladesh.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Specialist (Nature, Climate & Energy) the Project Manager will lead the implementation of the Formulation and Advancement of the National Adaptation Plan (NAP) Process in Bangladesh Project along with the GEF-6 Cycle Projects and will carrying out the following major tasks:
- Overall operational management for successful implementation;
- Supervision and coordination of different teams to ensure delivery of project outputs;
- Knowledge building and capacity enhancement services;
- Financial Management, procurement and disbursement;
- Provide policy support to the project;
- Strategic partnership and resources mobilization;
- Ensure overall operational management for successful implementation of the projects:
- Manage the human and financial resources for achieving results in line with the outputs and activities outlined in the project document and AWP of NAP Formulation and GEF-6 Cycle Projects;
- Ensure efficient programmatic and financial delivery of the projects;
- Perform appropriate project management actions to ensure output and outcomes as outlined in the project document and AWPs;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual progress report as per UNDP/GCF/GEF guidelines and organize quarterly progress, mid-year and annual reviews;
- Initiated Project’s Budget Revision in line with UNDP’s Requirement;
- Organize meetings of the Project Steering Committee, Technical Advisory Board, and Advisory Panels (if relevant);
- Provide planning and strategic assistance to the project professionals to maximize the efficiency of the project team and the project outcome;
- Provide support to Project Board in the preparation of authoritative scientific and technical papers and maintaining effective liaison/interaction with government ministries/departments, private sectors, NGOs, CBOs, local stakeholders, institutions and implementing partners of the project;
- Provide support to NDA for designing specification for all specialized procurement of the project and also prepare annual procurement plan of the project;
- Prepare and ensure timely submission of quarterly financial consolidated and progress reports, annual progress report, mid-term reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP and GCF;
- Provide support to the Cluster for Annual Results Reporting and ROAR;
- Provide and guide to the Programme Implementation Technical Support Team.
- Supervision and coordination of different teams under the project:
- Prepare Job Description/Terms of Reference of the short term national professionals and supervise them;
- Manage the human and financial resources of the project and coordinate the work of all project and policy advisory services;
- Lead in the coordination of relevant project activities with related and parallel activities both within NDA and with external implementing partner agencies;
- Supervise and coordinate the work of all project staff, consultants, contractors and sub-contractors;
- Coordinate the distribution of responsibilities amongst team members and organize monitoring and tracking system of all components of the project;
- Lead in the coordination of relevant project activities both within NDA/UNDP and with external agencies;
- Maintain liaison with relevant agencies, and public and private sectors, regulatory bodies related to adaptation plan mechanisms and Environmental Governance;
- Establish project monitoring and reporting mechanism;
- Support the NDA in organizing Project Board meetings;
- Knowledge building and capacity enhancement services:
- Lead and facilitate production of knowledge products in the relevant subject matters;
- Assist and consult relevant GoB officials who deal with the National Adaptation Plan for ensuring quality outputs delivery, organizing training and workshop for policy makers;
- As a whole, supervise the project’s capacity building efforts aimed at government counterparts, civil society groups, media and other stakeholders;
- Disseminate project reports and respond to queries from concerned stakeholders;
- Work together with all Economic Relations Division, Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, etc. to deliver results;
- Oversee the exchange and sharing of experiences and lessons learned with relevant projects nationally and internationally, in consultation and guidance of relevant officials;
- Undertaking any other activities that may be assigned by the Project Board;
- Ensure participation of UNDP Managers meeting.
- Financial Management:
- Ensure effective management of the project’s financial resources;
- Approve e-requisition in Atlas for procurement of project goods and services in line with approved project document as well as Annual work plans;
- Supervise proper accounting of the project resources and annually/quarterly/monthly reporting to UNDP;
- Ensure timely procurement of projects goods and services by UNDP;
- Regularly reviewing Atlas project reports and ensuring that revenue, commitments, expenses and disbursements are complete and accurate, and detect erroneous or unauthorized charges;
- Responsible for the physical safeguarding of project assets;
- Responsible for verifying satisfactory receipt of goods, services and works on a timely basis.
- Policy and Programme Services:
- Provide intellectual or substantive leadership in the subject area through identification of key policy issues and formulation of best possible and alternative policy and programme options for UNDP country office;
- Ensure high standards in the provision of technical and advisory inputs, organization of workshops, seminars, training and delivery of outputs (products);
- Lead the analytical and policy development work of the project team. Promote the substantive quality of all knowledge products, reports and services, and ensures effective integration;
- Coordinate with various government, private sectors and NGOs regarding requests for advisory and support services and lead the support from the project as required by the stakeholders;
- Supervise the project’s capacity building efforts aimed at government counterparts, civil society groups, and UNDP CO;
- Coordinates with Country Offices regarding requests for advisory and support services;
- Ensure full compliance with the UNDP, GEF and GCF branding policy;
- Support UNDP’s management team in processing, approval and implementation of other vertifcal fund supported projects.
- Partnership and Resources Mobilization:
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Mobilize and network with the experts of national and regional offices of the UN System, international development organizations, sub-regional and regional associations, affiliations and bodies (inter-governmental, non-government or private sector) and prominent private sector organizations;
- Prepare strategies for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector;
- Maintain effective relationship with development partners to facilitate and support resource mobilization; Conduct any other function, responsibility which may be assigned by the UNDP’s senior management.
The United Nations Development Programme is the global development network of the United Nations. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations and advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves.
Check the official link.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards (human rights, peace, understanding between peoples and nations, tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation (UNDP core ethics) impartiality;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
Research and analysis
- Researches and analyses best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
Results-Based Programme Development and Management;
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals, concept notes, feasibility studies, impact assessments etc.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures-
- In depth country knowledge, especially on socio-political, regional/sub regional and global economic issues;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and project management tools;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Managing conflict;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in the area of Environmental Science, Climate Change, Civil/Water/Environmental Engineering Urban Planning & Development, Development Studies, Natural Resource Management, Geography, International Relations, Economics, or closely relevant disciplines from a reputed university.
Experiences And Skills
- At least 7 years working experience in the areas of the formulation of national policy, plan, startaegy or action plan on climate change, disaster management, environmental management, natural resource management,etc;
- Sound knowledge on National Adaptation Plan, National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) and relevant agreements such as the UNFCCC and its financing mechanisms;
- Should have a high degree of familiarity with the UNFCCC and its implementation in Bangladesh and at global level;
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in working in the field level of UN projects in the climate change areas is essential;
- Proven experience of hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Work experience in other multi-lateral or international organizations will be of advantage;
- Proven track record of project team experience working with government, private sectors, international organization and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh;
- Demonstrate track record in the management, monitoring and reporting of similar project, preferably working with government, private sectors, international organization, and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior members of national level public institutions;
- Sound knowledge on various national policy, strategy and action plan on climate change (e.g. NAPA, National Communication, BCCSAP, NDC, Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100, etc.) and relevant agreements such as the UNFCCC and its governance architecture and financing mechanisms;
- Good knowledge of the legislative and policy aspects of the adaptation and mitigation framework in Bangladesh;
- Strong interpersonal skills, skill on political engagement,communication and strategic negotiation skills, ability to work in a team;
- Excellent English drafting, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Fluency in both English and Bangla is a must.
- The Project manager is required to travel extensively for monitoring and quality control visits to local and regional level NAP consultation workshops across the country, especially to the climate vulnerable areas.
Check the official link.
Application Deadline: October 4, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link