ARTICLE 19 is looking for Regional Director for Bangladesh and South Asia Programme, 2023 in Dhaka
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Lead the development of ARTICLE19 regional programme of work in support of freedom of
- Develop and implement the Article 19 Bangladesh and South Asia Strategy ensuring alignment with the Article 19 global strategy and annual budget;
- Contribute to the review and development of the Article 19 global strategy;
- Lead the identification of new areas for ARTICLE 19’s growth and impact in the region;
- Continually scan the external environment, in particular monitoring, freedom of expression and information trends in Bangladesh and South Asia keeping abreast of civil, political, economic, social and cultural developments in the region, and maintaining a broad network with potential partners to identify project opportunities to expand the realisation of the rights to freedom of expression and information in the region;
- Develop new project proposals within the regional and country strategies.
- Effectively manage and growing ARTICLE 19 Bangladesh and South Asia office, ensuring compliance with national legislation and institutions;
- Lead in the development and /or implementation of ARTICLE 19 Bangladesh and South Asia office policies and procedures in collaboration with the People and Culture Team;
- Managing ARTICLE 19 Bangladesh and South Asia Office budget and finances, overseeing financial management of project and core budgets, ensuring reporting schedules to ARTICLE19 international office and donors.
- Identify, mitigate and manage physical, digital and reputational risks and threats to ARTICLE 19, its staff and the office;
- Ensure compliance with the MoU between ARTICLE 19 International Office and ARTICLE 19 Bangladesh and South Asia’s office;
- Provide leadership and oversight to the operational support functions.
Programme & Financial Management
- Ensure quality, cohesive and coordinated identification and implementation of the work;
- Ensure high quality delivery of research and lead on quality management of related outputs;
- Develop and maintain collaboration and regular contact with ARTICLE 19 partners, including national civil society organisations,media, activists, and government officials, and identify collaborative means of developing strategies and programmes to advance freedom of expression and information in the region;
- Lead in the development of operational budgets for the regional office, overseeing the proper spending of the budget in line of ARTICLE 19’s, grants’ and other requirements;
- Lead in the development of operational plans for the regional office and ensure their timely and proper implementation through performance management and monitoring;
- Ensure timely and qualitative compliance with internal narrative and financial reporting as per the annual and quarterly reports and donors’ reports, as well as monitoring and evaluation of ARTICLE 19’s work;
- Monitor and evaluate the work and impact of regional office, using performance indicators and other outcome measures.
- Build a strong and effective regional office team in collaboration with the International Office support function teams and especially People and Culture team, by:
- Line manage team members, including through review of work plans and objectives, assessment of work through regular appraisal, providing guidance and support as necessary, including on individual professional development;
- Create a culture of collaborative working in order to ensure a thriving working environment;
- Organise the work of the team in an efficient, effective and coordinated fashion to ensure delivery of agreed outputs within budget;
- Lead and support as appropriate the recruitment of staff and consultants;
- Ensure human resource policies and procedures are effectively implemented and in compliance with national legislation.
- Promote and support a good workplace culture built around the ARTICLE 19 values.
- Lead the identification of sustainable funding for the regional office;
- Develop and maintain contacts with donors, particularly those located in the sub-region;
- Develop knowledge of fundraising opportunities in the region and identify sources of funding for new projects proposals, in cooperation with the Fundraising Team;
- Lead in the development of fundraising proposals for the regional office’s projects in line with ARTICLE 19’s regional strategy and the organisational strategy;
- Build and maintain contact with donors.
- Represent the organization in international, regional and national fora, promoting ARTICLE 19’s leadership on freedom of expression and information in the region;
- Act as the spokesperson for ARTICLE 19 Bangladesh and South Asia, ensuring high media profile for ARTICLE 19’s activities;
- Leading on the development of ARTICLE 19’s lobbying and advocacy activities in the region, including in partnership with other key actors;
- Ensure Office’s collaboration with the International Communications lead for Bangladesh and South Asia Office on the identification and delivery of ARTICLE 19’s regional communication strategy;
- Engage when relevant on social media, actively communicating externally through twitter and other social media following ARTICLE 19 communications guidance and priorities;
- Oversee the development and produce reports, articles and other pieces covering the region for ARTICLE 19 publications and website, and ensure the quality of those produced by members of the regional office;
- Ensure the office develops and maintains ARTICLE 19 national, regional and international media contacts across the region, and disseminate and publicise ARTICLE 19 work, outputs and impact;
- Ensure the office responds to media inquiries and provides information on Bangladesh and South Asia office’s work as required.
- Provide expert advice to the organisation on freedom of expression and information issues across Bangladesh and South Asia Contribute to ARTICLE 19 global strategies, policy discussions and campaigns;
- Participate and collaborate with colleagues as member of the Global Management Team/Forum;
- Facilitate cross-learning and collaboration with other regional/thematic programmes of ARTICLE 19, and contribute to international ARTICLE 19 campaigns;
- Contribute to and influence ARTICLE 19 policies, strategies and programme development processes.
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the role as may reasonably be assigned by the Senior Director of Programmes and/or the Executive Director;
- Ensure maintenance and development of A19 Bangladesh and South Asia’s files, and contribute to the development of relevant information systems to improve institutional memory and learning.
Established in 1987, ARTICLE 19 works for a world where all people everywhere can freely express themselves and actively engage in public life without fear of discrimination. Our mission is to promote and defend the universal human rights of freedom of expression and information around the world, through international advocacy, legal analysis, and regional and national projects.
Visit the official link
- Significant demonstrable experience in managing organizations or significant teams.
- Experience, knowledge and commitment in the field of human rights and specifically freedom of expression and information.
- Experience of living and working in the region.
- The person will be a senior, confident, assertive leader with well-developed analytical capabilities, financial and risk management experience.
- A record of successfully managing a senior team towards the delivery of key goals, with demonstrated emotional and social intelligence in decision-making.
- Significant demonstrable, successful experience of strategic planning, project development and management, including coordination of varied activities and budget management.
- Experience in driving team consultative processes to identify and implement national and regional strategies.
- An understanding of good governance, reporting and accountability and the ability to cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Regional Board and GMT.
- Proven, successful experience in fundraising from institutional donors such as governments and large trusts, as well as establishing and maintaining relations with donors.
- Significant demonstrable experience of advocacy at national and international level.
- Experience in external communications to broad audiences, particularly in dealing with national and regional media.
- Substantive experience in drafting of written materials including management of research, writing and/or editing materials for publication.
- Involvement in strategy and policy development, taking a lead at national and regional level
- Team building and line management of staff.
- Experience in proposing and implementing changes in the staff structure and organisational processes to allow for a sustainable organisational set up to implement work strategies.Skills and abilities
- Ability to play a leadership role within the organisation.
- Ability to lead in the professional development of staff.
- Ability to manage staff, including people located in different locations and time-zones effectively, fostering a strong sense of team amongst them, and appraising and motivating them to higher performance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent advocacy skills.
- A strong communicator able to influence on all levels with fluency in Bangla and English.
- Ability to work effectively, often under pressure, to tight and demanding deadlines.
Education and Knowledge
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent.
- Knowledge of human rights trends, particularly on freedom of expression and information, in Bangladesh and South Asia region.
- Knowledge of international human rights law and awareness of mechanisms for the protection of human rights at international and regional level.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of historical context and recent political, economic and social developments in Bangladesh and South Asia region.Other
- Must already have the right to work in Bangladesh. Please note that ARTICLE 19 is not able to sponsor work visas or provide support in obtaining required work permits.
- Firm commitment to work within and promote ARTICLE 19’s values and objectives.
- A passionate and vigilant promoter of ARTICLE 19 values and principles and champion of equal opportunities and non-discrimination, respect and justice both inside and outside the organisation, and an enabler of work in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Integrity, professionalism and instinctive reliance on the highest moral and liability standards are indispensable.
- Willingness and availability for regular, and sometimes extended, overseas travel.DESIRABLE
- Experience of living and working in the region.
- Knowledge of the charity regulatory system in Bangladesh.
- Experience in establishing teams, proposing and implementing changes in the staff structure and organisational processes, setting up new structures and promoting organisational growth.
To apply, click on “APPLY NOW” or visit the official link
Application Deadline: April 30, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link