The Standard Chartered Bank is the longest established of all the financial institutions in Bangladesh since 1905, and the country’s largest foreign bank.
As the longest established of all financial institutions in the country, operating for over 114 years , they have earned the distinction of being an innovator in the market with many firsts, from becoming the first international bank to extend credit lines to independent Bangladesh; opening the first external letter of credit (LC) in Bangladesh in 1972; introducing the first ATM; launching the first debit card, credit card, international debit cards and the first Shariah-compliant Credit Card; the first 24-hour contact center; the first state-of-the-art Online Banking Platform, and the first cross border acquisition finance.
Their first branch opened in 1905 in Chittagong. Today they have 24 branches and booths geographically aligned to cater to the key economic centers of the country. This is the most extensive banking presence of all foreign financial institutions operating in the market.
They have retained their AAA credit rating for 10 years in a row.
They acted as a co-advisor to Bangladesh Bank to help the country achieve its first ever sovereign credit rating, when They worked with S&P.
They have been recognized as the largest tax payer in the banking sector in 2016.
They were the only foreign commercial bank to receive the Bangladesh Bank Remittance Award 2016, for their role in facilitating inward flow of remittance in Bangladesh.
Commercial Banking serves over 40,000 local corporations and medium-sized enterprises in 26 markets across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. They aim to be their clients’ main international bank, providing a full range of international financial solutions in areas such as trade finance, cash management, financial markets and corporate finance. Their clients represent a large and important portion of the economies they serve and are potential future multinational corporates. Commercial Banking is at the heart of their shared purpose to drive commerce and prosperity through their unique diversity.
The programme provides a comprehensive grounding in commercial and corporate banking, and will see you working directly with a diverse range of business and corporate customers alongside our Commercial Bankers. You can explore how your skills can adapt to different areas of our business while developing new skills to help kick-start your career in the Commercial Bank. Here are some projects you could be involved in:
- Generate creative ideas on customer acquisition and products/ services.
- Work directly with new clients to learn, analyse and identify opportunities to advance their business, developing a deep understanding of our customers’ needs, and expertise in the products we offer.
- Map, mine and implement cross sell opportunities to expand existing client relationships.
- Partner with Relationship Managers to structure client transactions, acquiring insight into product development, deal execution and digital banking.
- Prepare customer credit proposal.
Your career progression
At the end of your 18-month programme, you’ll join a role within Commercial Banking. These could be in areas such as:
- Credit Analysis
- Relationship Management
- An Attractive amount of salary
- 11 month training rotations – Your will spend three months in your focus area and go on to broaden your experience through further rotations across Risk, Transaction Banking or Financial Markets, Assistant Relationship Management, Process & Governance and Cash/Trade Operations.
- 6 month Business rotation – Your last rotation will be 6 months in your focus area in Commercial Banking. It’s your chance to find the team you fit into best, and begin your Standard Chartered career.
- You must have an undergraduate degree, we want and encourage applications from candidates from all degree disciplines. And as English is our business language, it needs to be at least one of those you speak fluently.
- For our Graduate roles, you must have an undergraduate degree and be eligible to work permanently in the country that you are applying to.