The Government of the Republic of Mauritius is offering scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries for full-time, on-campus undergraduate programs tenable in public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius.
- The Scholarship will cover for SADC (Southern African Development Community) Countries, Local Fees: MUR100,000
- The scholarship will cover for Non-SADC Countries, International Fees: MUR160,000
- A monthly living allowance of MUR 8,300 will be paid to awardees as part support to meet their living expenses.
- The scholarship will be for a maximum of 4 years or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
- Scholarships will be renewable on a yearly basis, subject to successful completion of the previous year of study and subsequent enrolment into the following year
- The application fee shall be refunded to successful applicants
- The scholarship also covers a return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
- Candidates must be resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries. Mauritian nationals and foreign nationals residing in Mauritius are NOT eligible to apply under this Scheme.
- Age must be above 18 and should not have reached their 26th birthday by the closing date of application.
- Candidates should have successfully completed end-of-secondary schooling to be eligible and should satisfy the minimum grade requirements as indicated below:
- At least 23 points at GCE A-Level which will be computed on the basis of the following grades obtained in three Principal subjects: A+=10, A=9, B=8, C=7 & D=6; or at least an overall average of 65% or an overall average of 13/20;
- Qualification equivalent to (i)
- In case the language of instruction is not English in the qualifying examination, the candidate will have to provide a valid TOEFL test result with a minimum score of 550 (paper based) or 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based) or valid IELTS test results with a minimum score of 5.5 or an acceptable proof of English Language proficiency.
- All applicants must have already applied for at least one full-time on-campus program at a public HEI of their choice (listed under Section 8 in the application form). This application must be made as soon as the HEIs have opened their application windows on their respective websites.
- An applicant may either:
- Obtain a conditional offer (letter of admission) from their chosen Mauritian public HEI and submit this along with the scholarship application. Or,
- submit an acknowledgment notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid.
How to Apply: The following documents are available for download from the Ministry’s website:
- Guidelines for Applicants: This document contains important information regarding the conditions attached to the scholarship, the application procedure, and a list of public Tertiary Education Institutions in Mauritius where the applicants must have applied for full-time on-campus studies.
- Application Form: Application for the scholarship can only be made on the application form, duly filled-in. Section 5 of the application form should be endorsed and completed by the Nominating Agency in the country of citizenship of the applicant. Applications which are not made through the Nominating Agency of the respective countries will not be entertained.
Checklist of Documents to be submitted to Nominating Agency
- Completed Application Form
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of bio-data page of passport (if available)
- Certified copies of educational certificates
- Certified copies of transcripts
- Copy of letter of conditional offer by a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (if available at time of application) OR copy of acknowledgment notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid; and
- Medical certificate to be duly filled and signed by a registered Medical Practitioner in Section 6 of the Application Form. This should be appropriately stamped
Application Deadline: April 16, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link