This project is aimed at providing an opportunity to study in Japan for young Japanese descendants having definite plans and dreams of promoting understanding between the country of resident and Japan and contributing to the development of the country of resident and local communities. Approximately five students will be granted the scholarship.
Any educational institution is acceptable. Applicants, however, must select a school and negotiate with it on enrollment formalities. If applicants want to study at Japanese-language schools, they must be those designated by them.
Applicants who have been already admitted to educational institutions Applicants who have been already admitted to schools in Japan (universities and graduate schools) after April 1, 2022, must submit an informal letter of acceptance. An applicant without an informal letter of acceptance at the time of application is required to indicate the name of the desired educational institution in the Overseas Study Plan. In either case, the successful applicant must obtain a letter of acceptance (or a certificate showing he/she is scheduled to be admitted) by the end of March 2022.
Applicants without desired educational institutions must go through the enrollment formalities at a Japanese-language school after April 1, 2022. They are required to negotiate with desired schools on enrollment formalities at their own risk or must pass the entrance examination. In all cases, applicants must decide on their desired school by the end of March 2023. If they fail to decide on the school by that time, scholarship payment will be suspended.
- Round-trip airfare
- Any expense to be paid to the school including examination fee, admission charge, tuition, course materials, etc.
- Living expense (130,000 yen/month), housing expense (max. 50,000 yen/month), key money (max. 200,000 yen), student commutation ticket, medical insurance premium (fraternal insurance), etc.
- Expenses for group workshops and participation fees for academic conferences
- Applicants must be Japanese descents (regardless of nationality, educational background or previous visits to Japan).
- Applicants must be 18 to 35 years old in principle.
- Applicants must be recommended by overseas Japanese descent organizations.
- Applicants must have a dream of acquiring technical knowledge and, after returning home, playing active roles in the countries of resident and local communities.
- Applicants should have a dream of working as a bridge for their countries of resident and Japan by making most of overseas study experiences.
- Applicants must be willing to participate in overseas students’ volunteer activities and social action programs.
Applicants must send the following documents to our office by July 31.
For overseas applicants, the application documents can be sent via e-mail in case it is difficult to send them by post due to the spread of COVID-19. If sending by e-mail, please be sure to send it to Nikkei Scholarship address([email protected]).
- Personal History (Form 1)
- Composition (Form 2)
- Overseas Study Plan (Form 3)
- Informal Letter of Acceptance (Form 4) (Optional.For applicants who were already admitted to the schools in Japan)
- Medical History (Form 5)
- Letter of Recommendation by overseas Japanese descent organizations (Form 6)
- Confirmation of Intent (Form7)
- Graduation certificate or student registration certificate (translation required)
- The above-noted documents prepared in local language are acceptable.
- Essay (Form No.2) must not exceed one page in length.
- When sending the informal letter of acceptance, Medical History, Letter of Recommendation by Japanese descent organizations, and Confirmation of Intent, they must be original documents. No photocopy is accepted.
- Where the final school does not issue a graduation certificate, a copy of the graduation diploma notarized by a notary public must be submitted.
- Submitted documents will not be returned under any circumstances.
- Please note that “entry form”is not application document.You cannot be accepted unless all application documents is submitted by postal mail.
- Applicants should consult our office in advance if there are issues such as not able to obtain a copy of the graduation certificate or send an original letter of recommendation, due to the spread of COVID-19.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link