Their founding father Mahmoud Rabbani was a Palestinian refugee who was offered a scholarship to study in the Netherlands. Eventually, he felt at home in both parts of the world and was motivated by the belief that Arabs and Europeans still have much to learn from each other. Once they have come to a genuine understanding they will find that there is room in their mutual relationship for a much broader and stronger cooperation. This conviction drove Rabbani to establishing the Foundation. At the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation, they are deeply committed to doing all they can, just as Mahmoud Rabbani did, to help building sustainable, inclusive societies in Europe and the Arab World by facilitating Euro-Arab dialogue and educational exchange.
At the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation they are convinced that dialogue is essential for people to be able to unlock their collective wisdom, passion and creativity. Politically, economically, and socially, the fate of people across Europe and the Arab region is intertwined. Both regions are facing challenges and opportunities as a result of the same root causes. It is their sincere belief that through facilitated dialogue, people can make full use of the potential of their diversity and will be able to find common ground: common solutions and common opportunities.
The Lutfia Rabbani Foundation and the Leiden University Fund have renewed their partnership on the 15th of September, 2021. This reiterates the commitment of both organisations to support exceptional talent from the MENA region, stressing the importance of international scholarships as a tool to promote Euro-Arab dialogue. It will support students who demonstrate exceptional academic excellence and a strong motivation to promote Euro-Arab dialogue. The Fund shall provide one full scholarship annually to a Master’s student from an Arab country to attend a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
Moreover, the scholarship is strengthened by a mentoring programme that offers the scholarship recipient guidance on a personal and professional level and also provides access to the Foundation’s extensive and diverse network and platforms.
- The maximum amount of the Leiden University Fund – Lutfia Rabbani Foundation Scholarship is €30,000.
- Academic excellence.
- Personal growth: Assessing the contribution the proposed field of study would have on the applicant’s continued academic and professional development and/or its potential for impact in the local context.
- Strong motivation in line with the ideals of the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation’s goal of promoting Euro-Arab dialogue and understanding.
- Financial need.
Eligible Regions: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, or Yemen.
- Motivation and purpose statement (in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (in English)
- Copy of passport
- Copies of degrees or diplomas with academic transcripts (with English translations)
- Two signed references from either academic or professional referees (in English)
- Letter of acceptance from Leiden University. In order to meet the March 31st deadline for the scholarship, applicants should apply to Leiden University no later than February 1st for the September intake. Applications may take between 4-6 weeks to be processed by Leiden University. Without a letter of acceptance from Leiden University, the Lutfia Rabbani Foundation cannot consider applicants for a scholarship.
- A detailed programme outline of the Master study the scholar intends to pursue at Leiden University (in English)
- Budget: please be thorough in completing your budget to include tuition fees (and whether you have applied to other scholarship funds) as well as necessary expenses to be incurred during the academic year. The maximum amount that may be awarded is € 30,000 for an academic year. You can use this Budget Template.
- Signed and dated Application Form (the form can also be downloaded in the application portal).
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023 (55 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link