Issues of diversity and inclusion with the photographic and photojournalism industries are a complex, long-standing and industry-wide concern. While Getty Images has worked hard to source content that represents the world in which we live, as well as actively promoting inclusion within the industry through recruitment and our existing Grants programs, this is an issue that will not be solved overnight.
In partnership with a selection of the foremost minority photography and journalism associations globally, the new Getty Images Inclusion Scholarships programme aims to support emerging editorial talent within minority groups and offer aspiring photojournalists the support to pursue education that will enable careers within the industry.
In partnership with Women Photograph, Creative Access, National Association of Black Journalists, Asian American Journalism Association and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Getty Images is offering five scholarships of US$10K to be put toward pursuing education and in turn, helping address industry inclusion issues at the entry point – awarding today, for a better, more inclusive tomorrow.
Applicants are asked to submit examples of their work, a personal essay, and additional material documenting their academic credentials. Please review each organization’s application page for more detail:
- Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship – Creative Access (UK)
- Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship – National Association of Black Journalists (US)
- Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship – Asian American Journalists Association (US)
- Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship – National Association of Hispanic Journalists (US)
- Getty Images Inclusion Scholarship – Women Photograph (Worldwide)
- 5 x $10K scholarships are available,
- Will also get a chance to form a partnership with the following organisations: Women Photograph, Creative Access, National Association of Black Journalists, Asian American Journalism Association and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and presently engaged as a professional photojournalist.
- A professional photojournalist, for the purposes of the Getty Images Grants for Editorial Photography, is one who derives the majority of his or her income from documenting issues and events through still photography.
- Applicants may apply as individuals or teams.
- Getty Images employees may not apply.
- Contributors to Getty Images who are not employees are eligible.
- By submitting an application, the applicant certifies that he or she is eligible to apply for the grant and agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
The documents you need while applying :
- A resume/CV detailing your academic history, internships, and other relevant experience
- A personal essay demonstrating your commitment to photo journalism
- 15-20 original images that illustrate your work
- Proof of school enrollment and academic performance (additional details on application websites)
- The proposals must be in English and be submitted electronically, meeting the requirements of the partnership organisation
Application Deadline: May 16, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link