The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB – JSP) was established in April 1988 with financing from the Japanese government.
The aim is to provide an opportunity for well-qualified citizens of ADB’s developing member countries to undertake postgraduate studies in:
- Other development-related fields at participating academic institutions in the Asia-Pacific region
Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
The University of Auckland programs covered by this scholarship scheme are limited to the following:
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science (Environmental Science)
- Master of Arts (Development Studies)
- Masters programs in Engineering.
For 2024 admission:
- Applications for study commencing in 2024 will close on 21 July 2023.
- Selection for the scholarship will take place between 24 July – 29 September 2023.
- Successful applicants will be notified by November 2023.
- If they require further information and documentation from you, they will be in touch via email. Otherwise, all applicants will be notified of the outcome by November 2023.
Applications for the scholarship for the 2023 term are no longer available.
Candidates will be considered ineligible if they are:
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned.
- The staff of JSP-designated institutions can’t apply to their own institution.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country.
- Applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs or who have already completed graduate degree programs.
- Undergraduate studies, distance learning programs, short-term training, conferences, seminars, thesis writing, and research projects.
The ADB-Japan Scholarship Program (JSP) offers about 135 graduate scholarships a year for studies in economics, business and management, science and technology, and other development-related fields. For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation. In special circumstances, computer literacy, preparatory language, and other similar courses may be covered under the scholarship.
- Tuition fees at the University of Auckland.
- Airfare from the scholar’s home country to Auckland, New Zealand.
- The basic cost of living in Auckland.
- Health and medical insurance in New Zealand.
- Airfare from Auckland, New Zealand, to the scholar’s home country at the conclusion of his or her course of study.
- For scholars engaged in research, a special grant may be available for thesis preparation.
Note: The ADB-JSP does not cover dependents.
- Be a national of an ADB borrowing member. For a list of current developing member countries visit ADB – Japan Scholarship Programme.
- Have gained admission to an approved masters at an approved academic institution.
- Have a bachelors degree or its equivalent with a superior academic record.
- Have at least two years of full-time professional work experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application.
- Be proficient in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Be under 35 years old at the time of application. In exceptional cases, for programs that are appropriate for senior officials and managers, the age limit is 45 years.
- Be in good health.
- Agree to return to your home country after completing the program.
To be considered for the scholarship, you must submit the following documentation in full prior to the closing date:
- Completed ADB-JSP Information Sheet
- Completed ADB-JSP Application Form
- Copy of your offer letter to the University of Auckland
- Academic documentation – both academic transcripts and degree certificates
- Certificate of Employment for the duration of employment issued by the company
- Certificate of Income issued by the company
- Certificate of Family Income issued by the company. Must be either your parents or spouse’s annual/monthly income.
- Copy of your Passport
- Valid IELTS test
Application Deadline: July 21, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link