The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU – academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement – the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country. They invite students to meet their inspiring current AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars and recent EGLS alumni.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a non-immigrant visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance. Students interested in all majors offered at AU are eligible to apply.
Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2024. If the students is not selected as the 2024 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, they may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, they will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 they provided. Estimated costs for the 2024-2025 academic year are U.S.$78,296.
American University is a student-centered research institution located in Washington, DC, with highly-ranked schools and colleges, internationally-renowned faculty, and a reputation for creating meaningful change in the world. Their students distinguish themselves for their service, leadership, and ability to rethink global and domestic challenges and opportunities.
At AU passion becomes action; students actively engage in the world around them; and the leaders of today train the leaders of tomorrow.
- The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a non-immigrant visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
- The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year).
- The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
- Students interested in all majors offered at AU are eligible to apply.
- The student is NOT eligible to apply if:
- They are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- They are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in their home country or the United States.
- They graduated secondary school earlier than 2022.
- Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 125+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 115 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and graduating by June 2024.
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024.
- Very Important: The AU EGLS selection process is most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process, including proof of English proficiency and bank letter confirming US$4,000 minimum, by December 15, 2023.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application; the application will be available September 15, 2023.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form – each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via the student’s Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025.
- Submit official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2023 at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly by the testing agency to American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia. Please note: Students cannot submit their own results.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist by AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024 at the latest. Please note that the preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If the student is applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if they are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from their EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming their candidacy. The student may request for the letter to be sent to [email protected] as a PDF.
- If the student is not selected as one of the finalists, they may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, they will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$78,296 (estimated costs for first year of study).
- Zoom interviews and/or additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists.
- AU EGLS applicants must apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2024. Do not apply for Early Decision (ED).
Application Deadline: December 15, 2023 (13 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link