Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is excited to announce that the 2021 application is now available online!
YYAS is a high-intensity academic enrichment and leadership program that brings together outstanding secondary school students from across Africa. Students are exposed to the rigorous university admission and financial aid processes, attend college-style seminars led by Yale University students, and build a network of peers from across the continent. New this year, students will also participate in career guidance workshops in their field of interest: communications, technology, entrepreneurship, or public health.
Now in its eighth year of programming, YYAS has served more than 1,600 students and has brought together young leaders from more than 40 countries across Africa. To keep everyone safe during the global pandemic, the YYAS 2021 program will be held online from 25 July to 31 July. Admitted participants will access pre-recorded videos before the start of the program and attend live sessions with specially curated leadership and development content during the week-long event.
- Participants will enhance their academic skills
- Join a network of young leaders from across Africa
- There is no cost to students to participate in YYAS
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfil all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by the application deadline (16 February 2021) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Grade Level: You must be a current 11th-grade student (or the international equivalent).
- Graduation date: If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2022. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2021 and no later than November/December 2022.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)Eligible Regions: African countries
- Apply online through the given link.
- To apply, students must submit an online application that includes one essay and two short-answer prompts.
- Students must also upload an official school transcript or grade report as well as provide the contact information for one teacher who knows them well enough to fill out an online recommendation form.
Application Deadline: February 16, 2021 (26 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link