Applications are now open for UN Geneva: Graduate Study Program 2021. The United Nations Information Service’s Graduate Study Program (GSP) is the longest-running educational program of the United Nations. Now in its 59th year, over the decades the GSP has trained thousands of youth from over 100 countries. The seminar provides an opportunity for participants to deepen their understanding of the United Nations System and the International Geneva through first-hand observations, lectures, research, group work, and visits to Geneva-based institutions.
The 59th Graduate Study Program will be held at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland from Monday, 28 June to Friday, 9 July 2021. It will comprise lectures given by representatives of the United Nations and other Geneva-based organizations, visits to institutions, and daily work in working groups under the guidance of expert moderators. The GSP theme for 2021 will be: “Post-COVID World: Reset, Resilience, Recovery”
While the organizers expect that the pandemic situation will improve sufficiently by summer 2021 to allow that the 59th GSP take place physically in Geneva, final decision in this regard will be made in the spring. Applicants should bear in mind that, depending on the conditions, the program might need to take place virtually.
Participants in the Graduate Study Program are selected by a Selection Committee composed of officials of the United Nations Office at Geneva with various backgrounds and professional experiences.
The Selection Committee is guided by the following criteria:
- Academic background
- Extracurricular activities
- Geographical balance
- Gender balance
- Knowledge of the two working languages of the Program (English and French)
- The usefulness of the Program for the career of the applicant
Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis. The Selection Committee does not disclose the motivation of its choices. Decisions of the Selection Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
- The seminar provides an opportunity for participants to deepen their understanding of the United Nations System and the International Geneva through first-hand observations, lectures, research, group work, and visits to Geneva-based institutions.
- The 59th graduate program will comprise lectures given by representatives of the United Nations and other Geneva-based organizations, visits to institutions, and daily work in working groups under the guidance of expert moderators.
- Fluency in English is essential.
- As several sessions and discussions may be held in French, working knowledge of French is also needed.
- Applicants must be between 22 and 32 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a master’s degree program or a postgraduate degree program at the time of application.
- Applicants who have already participated in previous editions of the Graduate Study Program will not be able to apply again.
- Apply online through the given link.
- The application form is to be completed accompanied by a copy of the applicant’s passport, a letter of recommendation (in English or French only) from a university or a governmental authority, a proof of current enrolment (at the time of application) in a master’s degree program or a postgraduate degree program, and university diplomas obtained.
- Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
- Once selected, successful candidates will be asked ahead of time to provide a medical certificate attesting their good health and a proof of medical insurance coverage in Switzerland for the duration of the GSP. These two documents will be accepted in English or French only. Applications from candidates who are already employed full time will not be considered.
- Participation in this program is free of charge. The United Nations does not make any financial contribution towards visa, travel, board and lodging costs of participants. Governments, universities or foundations may offer grants to selected candidates. Candidates should seek advice from their universities in this regard.
Application Deadline: March 5, 2021 (43 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link