The GYA membership call for 2021 is open now. The GYA is a global organization that places a high value on its diversity. They encourage applications from all qualified candidates. All applicants receive consideration and will not be discriminated against with regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, sex, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disabilities, or other factors. Global Youth academy especially encourages women and applicants from different minority groups, and from diverse disciplines including the natural, physical and social sciences as well as the arts and humanities and people working in government, industry, and non-governmental sectors to apply.
Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organization’s programs, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador program. The GYA is an active organization, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 16 – 21 May 2021 in Japan.
The Global Young Academy (GYA) was founded in 2010 with the vision to give a voice to early- to mid-career researchers around the world. The GYA empowers them to lead international, interdisciplinary, and
intergenerational dialogue by developing and mobilising talent from six continents. Its purpose is to promote reason and inclusiveness in global decision-making. Members are chosen for their demonstrated excellence in scientific achievement and commitment to service. Currently, there are 200 members and 298 alumni from 86 countries. The academy is hosted at the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina. The GYA received its seed funding from the Volkswagen Foundation, and since 2014, it has been funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and supported by the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP). The GYA also benefits from project-specific funding from a variety of donors and partners.
- An Opportunity to attend the Global Youth Academy Annual General Meeting 2021 in Japan.
- Make an impact in the world and engage, outside the walls of the lab, academia or industry.
- The learning opportunities are immense.
- Interact with and learn from people from different cultures, disciplines, and backgrounds.
- Make your voice heard.
- Open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. A ph.D. or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programs around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from Ph.D. and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
Apply through the given link.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link