The University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP) is a short-term internship program for students majoring in natural science and other relevant fields. The program will provide students with an opportunity to gain the experience of “real graduate-school life” or “research-centred life.” UTRIP is a gateway to experiencing academic life at UTokyo and developing skills needed for pursuing an advanced degree in the future. The program will be an excellent occasion for students to test their aptitude for rigorous graduate study in the natural sciences.
In April 2021, they launched UTRIP Online as a pilot program looking ahead to the transition from the “With-Corona” era, to the “Post-Corona” era.
Participants worked closely with leading researchers of the Graduate School of Science (GSS) in UTokyo online. Cutting edge experiments were conducted remotely and lively discussions were held among the participants, UTokyo students, and faculty members, which offered the participants an outstanding scientific research work experience. Following several report writing assignments regarding the respective experiments, participants made oral presentations online and submitted final reports on their respective research projects.
The University of Tokyo’s School of Science conducts research and education across various scientific fields in order to understand the mechanisms of nature and uncover the immutable laws that govern them. In most cases, scientific research is motivated and advanced by the intellectual interests of researchers and not by the desire to seek the immediate application of findings. The profound understanding of nature that we have gained as a result has formed many conveniences of modern civilization, while also enriching their view of nature and the universe. Science has formed the deepest foundation of civilization and is a driving force for creating the future. With this in mind, the Charter of the School of Science has set the “creation and handing down of knowledge” as the School’s main mission.
Recognizing the importance of international academic exchange, the School of Science is pleased to offer various research and educational programs that allow students and researchers from around the world to enjoy life in Japan while carrying out their studies and research.They invite you to explore their programs and join them in playing an active part in the international world of science.
- A hands-on short term remote research program.
- Participants will have an opportunity to get involved in research at the frontier of natural science.
- As part of the program, students will view video lectures and read published research articles pertaining to their projects, and participate in online laboratory meetings with their faculty advisors.
- No participation fee is required.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will be awarded a certificate from the school.
- Be enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program, an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program or a Master’s program at a university outside of Japan.
- Be enrolled in natural science or a related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire program period.
Upon enrolling in the UTRIP Online program, students must agree to fulfil the following requirements:
- To have a secure internet connection to conduct research remotely and to communicate interactively online.
- To participate in the project for the full program period.
- To attend all academic events scheduled over the UTRIP Online program.
- To submit written research reports within the designated submission periods.
- To give an oral presentation on the scheduled day.
- All required documents need to be uploaded onto the designated online application form for the laboratory of your choice.
- Prior to submitting your application, make sure to review the Program Details & Research Descriptions to identify if the hosting lab and its research project fit your academic background and interests.
- You are required to state general information in your profile.
- Address the following topics in 700 – 1000 words in total:
1. Your reasons for selecting this research project, and what you hope to gain from this experience
2. What makes you qualified for the particular research project, briefly highlighting your skills and experience when they are specifically required by the faculty member, or when they appear to be helpful to conducting research in the laboratory.
3. Whether you are thinking of applying to the Graduate School of Science at the University of Tokyo after you graduate from your current university, citing your reasons
- Provide Educational background and qualifications- Resume / CV, GPA, English language qualifications
- Scanned copy of the academic transcript that must include: Your name, University name, Year of admission, List of courses completed (Course titles, grades and credits should be included), Legend (An official explanation of the grading system provided by the university; if this is not included in the official transcript, you may scan in together a separate official document to supplement your transcript.)
- A letter of recommendation issued by a professor is not necessarily required for UTRIP Online. If you have a letter of recommendation at hand, you can upload it together with the recommender’s information.
- Make sure that you have all the above information and materials ready at hand when you submit your online application.
Application Deadline: May 25, 2022Application ClosedOfficial link