Through the STEM research internship programme, the OIST Graduate School provides learning and research opportunities. Typically, internships last between two and six months. Students have the chance to master a specific technique or get experience in a particular laboratory during these brief assignments. Under the supervision of a professor, interns will participate in OIST’s research initiatives. There are two application windows, and internships can start and expire at any time of the year.
Students who are enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s programme or who have just graduated and are interested in enrolling in the OIST PhD programme may participate in educational activities at OIST as a research intern. Students can gain experience conducting research under the supervision of OIST academics by participating in a research internship at the institute. Positions for research interns are given out twice a year on a competitive basis. The desired research’s suitability, academic background, available funding, and space are all taken into consideration throughout the very competitive selection process. Not every open position will inevitably be filled.
OIST works to establish and uphold a diverse, inclusive workplace that doesn’t discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, or gender expression, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental illness, marital status, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, or religion. OIST strongly welcome applications from women and other underrepresented groups.
- Spring 2024 Internship: Deadline: October 15th 2023, Results: Late December 2023 ; Internship period: Between April 1st 2024- September 30th 2024
- Fall 2024 Internship: Deadline: April 15th 2024, Results: Late June 2024 ; Internship period: Between October 1st 2024 – March 31st 2025
It is strongly advised for applicants who plan to import biological or hazardous materials for their study to confirm that their import complies with all applicable laws in their home country, any country of transit, and Japan. They should also complete all required papers for importation well in advance. Successful applicants will receive access to comprehensive regulations covering payment, intellectual property rights, attendance, health and safety, and other issues.
Note: OIST recommends using a computer when preparing the online application. If you prefer using a mobile device, please make sure to have the latest operating system for the application to work properly.
*Selection results for the Research Internship Program will be announced via the Navii system.
*Due to COVID-19, arrivals of students residing outside of Japan is subjected to the international travel restrictions and quarantine requirement at the time of arrival. As situation is subjected to change, while OIST will provide the best support possible, there are cases where internships must be delayed, postponed or even cancelled.
- Internship Allowance: JPY 2,400 per working day (Non-taxable and weekends excluded).
- Commuting Allowance: OIST Shuttle Bus Pass.
- Travel Expenses: One direct round-trip air ticket (travel date will be closest date to the term of placement).
- Accommodation: Furnished apartment on or off campus.
- Other Support: OIST will also assist in visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. This will only be provided for the student. Therefore, this does not pertain to the dependents and family members of the student.
- Excellent students who are in the final 2 years of the undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or graduates of such institutions.
- Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution.
- Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
- Research Interns who belong to a Japanese university/institution are required to prepare and bring their own insurances when accepted to the OIST Research Internship program. Acceptable insurances are the combination of Gakkensai and Gakkenbai, or other insurances with similar coverage.
- Create a new account in the OIST Navii to proceed to the online form, go to apply link for create account option.
- Applications to the program must be made through the online form.
- You can only submit your application after at least one recommendation letter is received in the application system.
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- The result announcement will be posted on your application platform 3 months after the application deadline. You will receive a notification when the result is posted. (In some cases, applicants’ email services/settings prevent receipt of our notifications. Please confirm that your inbox is able to receive emails from @oist.jp domain.)
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
Required Materials for Application:
1) Statement of purpose:
The Statement of Interest form is provided on the online application form.
Please write a 400 words (2500 characters) statement including the following points:
- How does OIST and your desired research unit(s) fit with your current expertise and skill set? If you are interested in multiple research units, please explain your interest and fit for each briefly within one single statement.
- What do you hope to accomplish at OIST?
- How does a research internship at OIST fit into your overall career plans/aspirations?
2) Academic Transcript and Diploma:
Scanned copies of your current academic transcript and any other transcript from your past degree (BSc, MSc, etc.)
Diploma (BSc, MSc, etc.) in PDF format (if applicable)
- A scan of an unofficial transcript or other record of grades may be uploaded to the application website.
- English explanation is required for transcripts that are not written in English.
- If you have not graduated and do not have a diploma yet, please upload a certificate of enrolment from your institution (which preferably indicates your expected graduation date)
3) Recommendation Letter:
A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required. Each applicant is required to have at least one and no more than three letters of recommendation from appropriate recommenders. The application system will ask your recommenders directly for the letter(s), using the email contact details that you provide in the web application form. Please obtain the consent of your referee before submitting their details in the form. We do not accept any letters via email from applicants. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when OIST receives a recommendation letter.
4) ID Photo:
Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2023 (12 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link