Applications are open for the Yale Fox International Fellowship 2019. The Fox International Fellowship is a graduate student exchange program between Yale University and 20 world-renowned academic partners. The goal of the Fox International Fellowship is to enhance mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other countries by promoting international scholarly exchanges and collaborations among the next generation of leaders. The Fellowship lasts for 10 months.
The Fox International Fellowship was established in 1988 by Mr. Joseph Carrère Fox (Yale Class of 1938) as a way to provide a peaceful intellectual exchange between Yale University and Moscow State University in the midst of the tense international environment of the Cold War. The Fox Fellowship is a tremendous opportunity to engage in research at world-renowned academic institutions and join a vibrant Fox Fellowship alumni/ae group.
In order to promote high-level graduate student exchange and advance the goals of the Fox International Fellowship, Yale University entered into relationship with 20 world-renowned universities. Annually at least one student from each Fox exchange partner takes up residency at Yale, and at least one Yale student goes to each partner. Explore the partner’s pages above to learn more about the Fox Fellowship Network.
- Yale University, United States
- University of San Andrés, Argentina
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- University of São Paulo, Brazil
- University of British Columbia, Canada
- Fudan University, China
- The University of Copenhagen
- The Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
- University of Cambridge, England
- Institut d’Études de Politiques de Paris, France
- Freie University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Ghana
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- Tel Aviv University, Israel
- The University of Tokyo, Japan
- El Colegio de México
- Moscow State University, Russia
- National University of Singapore
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Boğaziçi University, Turkey
All Fellows at Yale receive the same award, which is commensurate to the level of funding received by doctoral students in the graduate school. Awards include round-trip travel, accommodations in rental housing provided by the Fox Fellowship and a generous living stipend to cover expenses not already provided for by existing funds that you may have at your disposal. The Fellowship will also cover health insurance. All fellows are also able to apply for grants from a research travel fund up to U.S.D $2000.
Fellows may apply to the research travel fund to reimburse costs associated with transport and accommodation for academic activities in which the Fellow engages in the region of the exchange partner. While it is not possible to use the research travel fund to conduct research in your home country, it may be possible to apply to the fund in order to present major conferences there. Please note that the research travel fund does not cover food or clothing, and the Fellow must make a presentation of their work in order to be eligible for conference funding.
Yale will help you support your visa application for spouse and children but Yale cannot provide funding for their travel, living or health care expenses. You may be required to prove that you can support them during your stay at the exchange partner.
Yale will sponsor you for a J-1 Visa. Yale will also sponsor spouses and children for J-2 dependent visa(s).
- Open to doctoral candidates and Master’s students.
- Graduating bachelors’ level students of unusual merit and distinction may be considered but advanced, graduate level students are preferred.
- The Fox International Fellowship is available for students of Yale University or from students of any of the Exchange Partner institutions in Fox International Fellowship network.
- Postdoctoral candidates cannot apply.
- International student proposing projects in their home country are NOT eligible.
- You must either be a current graduate student or be about to graduate from your undergraduate or master’s degree.
Apply online through given the website.
Each Fox partner university holds an open annual competition to gather applications, select and nominate their best students to be Fox Fellows to Yale.
The Yale Fox Fellowship selection committee makes the final decision based on the following criteria:
- Quality of research proposal
- Strength of academic achievement
- Character and demonstrated leadership potential
- Demonstrated personal commitment to being a “citizen ambassador”
Application deadlines are in January/February each year: specific dates will be announced by each Fox partner university. Students accepted as Fox Fellows at Yale will be notified by mid-April. The Fellowship period is ten months, beginning in late August each year.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link