The Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship program offers the opportunity to highly motivated undergraduate students from around the world to engage in research activities under the mentorship of a faculty from INSAIT. The program is 8-10 weeks long and selected students will receive a monthly stipend of 1500 euros to cover their living & accommodation expenses. Students will also be provided with accommodation conveniently located near the institute. In order for students to optimally benefit from the program they don’t allow summer projects to be carried out remotely. Students are expected to be present at the institute for a minimum of 8 (max 10) weeks during the summer.
INSAIT was founded by the Bulgarian government with the goal of creating a world-class, leading AI and computer science research and education institution in the country, that is to operate under the same principles as those underpinning world-renowned universities such as MIT, ETH, Stanford, EPFL, Technon, and others.
INSAIT’s sole focus is on scientific excellence: conducting world-class research, attracting outstanding international scientists, and training the next generation of graduate and undergraduate students. INSAIT is expected to have transformational effects on society and the economy at large: attracting high-quality diverse talent to the region, preventing brain drain, creating new state-of-the-art educational programs, pushing towards a more product-driven economy by inventing high-valued intellectual property (IP), enabling deep research-guided technological companies, attracting big technology companies, and many more.
Furthermore, they work hard to create policies and practices at all levels of their academic and administrative structure that are equitable, inclusive, and devoid of any bias, prejudice, and harassment.
Undergraduate students enrolled in any accredited university who are in their sophomore, junior, or senior (2,3,4) year are eligible to apply. The students should be enrolled in a STEM major such as math, physics, computer science, or engineering. To be eligible, applicants should also have a minimum GPA of 3.5 (out of 4.0) or the equivalent in the corresponding grading system. They strongly encourage applications from communities generally underrepresented in STEM.
- Selected students will receive a monthly stipend of 1500 EUR to cover their living & accommodation expenses.
- The accommodation for the students will be arranged for and the cost will be deducted from their stipend.
- They also provide travel support for selected candidates.
- Undergraduate students enrolled in any accredited university are eligible to apply.
- The students should be enrolled in a STEM major such as computer science or math.
- To be eligible, applicants should also have a minimum GPA of 3.5 (out of 4.0) or the equivalent in the corresponding grading system.
- They strongly encourage applications from communities generally underrepresented in STEM.
Throughout the program, summer students have to deliver:
- Project plan discussed with their mentor. The project plan should be ready at the beginning of the summer program.
- The final report which summarizes your work structured as a conference paper. Very often the aim will be for the final report to be submitted to a suitable conference.
- Final presentation to be given as part of the INSAIT seminar series
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Applicants need to submit their application materials before the deadline via their online platform. Your application should include:
- A current CV (in pdf format).
- An unofficial transcript from your university (in pdf format).
- A one-page motivation letter (in pdf format).
(1) Why you are interested in their summer research program?
(2) Two research areas at INSAIT that you are interested in.
(3) Whether you have prior research experience.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link