The University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD fellowship in Comparative Pediatrics commencing 1 November 2020 or as soon as possible hereafter.
UCPH offers a highly international, diverse and interdisciplinary environment in the Section of Comparative Pediatrics and Nutrition. They perform research and teaching related to development, nutrition and disease in human infant and farm animals. Their work extends from basic in vitro studies on cells and tissues (mechanisms and –omics technologies), over animal model studies (mainly in piglets), to intervention and cohort studies of infants at hospitals (growth, gut, brain, immunity, microbiota). The wide range of methodologies requires interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork among group members with widely different academic backgrounds (from basic biology to veterinary/human medicine).
The current position focus on health and development of preterm infants. They conduct clinical trials to investigate effects of supplemental milk products during periods of insufficient mother’s own milk to improve gut maturation and reduce development of gastrointestinal inflammation and infections, such as narcotizing gastroenteritis and sepsis. Further, they look at long-term outcomes of different feeding practices on cognitive functions and structural brain development in the preterm infants. Blood samples are collected and used to study changes transcription changes with feeding. Cohorts are collected to analyze across several studies. The analyses will be compared with analyses sampled from preterm pig cohorts to increase the transnational value of pig studies. A main part of the project will be mechanistic insight in the development based on pig trials and various analyses of blood and fecal samples from pigs and infants. With this, they aim to improve infant health and survival and provide quality alternatives to infant formulas when mother’s milk is not available.
The employment as a PhD fellow is full time and for 3 years. It is conditioned upon the applicant’s successful enrollment as a Ph. D. student at the Graduate School at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen. This requires submission and acceptance of an application for the specific project formulated by the applicant.
Your key tasks as a PhD student at SUND are:
- Carry through an independent research project under supervision
- Complete PhD courses or other equivalent education corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS points
- Participate in active research environments including a stay at another research team
- Obtain experience with teaching or other types of dissemination related to your PhD project
- Teach and disseminate your knowledge
- Write a PhD thesis on the grounds of your project
- Salary, pension, and terms of employment are in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
- Depending on seniority, the monthly salary begins around 27,593.77 DKK /approx. and 3,700 EUR plus pension.
- Applicants must have qualifications corresponding to a Master’s degree in human medicine.
Other important criteria are:
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the Ph.D. project, hereunder experience with handling data from clinical trials and cohort studies and analytical insight into blood and tissue analyses
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience
- Other professional activities
- The curious mindset with a strong interest in neonatal health and development
- Language skills
Apply through the given link and you must include the following documents in PDF format:
- Motivated letter of application (max. one page).
- CV incl. education, experience, language skills, and other skills relevant to the position.
- Master of Science diploma and transcript of records. If not completed, a certified/signed copy of a recent transcript of records or a written statement from the institution or supervisor will do.
- Publication list (if possible).
Application Deadline: July 12, 2020 (10 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link