If you frame your world through camera angles, narrate reality like a movie script, and edit the montage of your life like a film director, then here’s a flash-forward into your future – MultiChoice Africa is calling all aspiring film directors, DOPs, sound guys, and scriptwriters to help us ignite Africa’s creative industries. Who knows, perhaps one day your name will be rolling across the closing credits on our DStv channels.
In May 2019, on the occasion of Africa Month, MultiChoice Africa is launching a call to entry for the MultiChoice Talent Factory (MTF) Academy class of 2019. They’re recruiting aspiring African talent – that’s you – to gain theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience in cinematography, film editing, audio production and storytelling. Sixty talented students from 13 African countries will get the chance to hone their film and television production skills alongside industry greats. This year-long, funded, programme will be supported by MultiChoice Talent Factory academies hosted in Kenya, Nigeria and Zambia. Students will create quality local content that will be broadcast on our local M-Net channels on the MultiChoice platform.
MultiChoice Talent Factory graduates will also get to showcase their portfolio of work on the MTF Portal – a database for film professionals across the continent, where they can access job opportunities, keep up to date with industry news, and expand their network.
At MultiChoice Africa, the African entertainment industry is at the core of who we are and what we do. This social investment programme shows our commitment – alongside long-term partnerships with government, stakeholders and creative organisations – to develop Africa’s creative industries into vibrant, economic centres. This is how MultiChoice uses the power of entertainment to enrich lives.
- The academy will provide students with the opportunity to learn extensively and interact with production companies and influential industry heavyweights.
- MultiChoice Africa will be providing academy students with a fair and reasonable monthly stipend, calculated at industry standards and in line with MultiChoice Africa’s HR policies, to meet their living expenses. For students who need to relocate, a housing allowance and travelling costs will be provided. Further stipend amounts are set and are non-negotiable.
- be over 18 years of age;
- have a qualification from a registered and/or recognised post-secondary education institution as set out in clause and/or have experience in the film industry;
- be fluent in English in terms of speaking, reading and writing;
- demonstrate passion for the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment industry during selection interviews; and
- have completed a relevant qualification from an accredited and/or recognised tertiary education institution in drama, film, television or a related media field, within the last 2 years. For the avoidance of doubt, the said qualification must be obtained only from a post-secondary education institution which has been accredited or recognised by a relevant registered institution.
Applicants who have experience in the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment industry and who do not hold a qualification from an accredited and/or recognised tertiary institution will be considered for admission to the MTF Academy if they:
- are over 18, and fluent in English;
- have the highest secondary school qualification as recognised in the countries where they completed their secondary education;
- not more than 2 years’ work experience in the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment fields;
- are able to demonstrate knowledge and passion for the drama, film, television or related media and entertainment fields as indicated in clause; and
- possess the foundational technical skills in the fundamentals of Production as determined by MultiChoice in its sole discretion.
Interested candidates need to:
- Register on the MTF Academy website
- Correctly and fully complete the online application form.
- Write an online a motivation letter.
- Collate and electronically submit a curriculum vitae with contactable references and/or a certified copy of academic transcripts or certificate from a tertiary institution.
- Provide other documents specified by MultiChoice.
Application Deadline: June 14, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link