The McDonnell International Scholars Academy is an endowed fellowship program that offers generous financial support towards graduate and professional degree studies at Washington University in St. Louis. Applications are accepted from graduates of universities across the world, with a special interest in those students from its network of partner universities. Founded in 2005, the McDonnell Academy strives to develop a community of future global leaders. To that end, the Academy provides its Scholars with leadership training, mentorship by dedicated faculty members, and unique global engagement opportunities. It also facilitates collaborative research with its partners across disciplines and countries.
Washington University in St. Louis is a private research university located in the St. Louis metropolitan area. Founded in 1853, the university has students and faculty from all 50 U.S. states and more than 120 countries. WashU has a long history of pioneering achievements and reputation for academic excellence. 25 Nobel Laureates have been associated with the university. Through seven schools, they provide opportunities for in-depth study in a range of subjects and collaboration across disciplines.
McDonnell Scholars receive both financial and programmatic support including:
- full-tuition scholarship;
- a monthly living stipend;
- annual travel allowance;
- cultural and leadership training through a leadership seminar and workshops, specially-designed educational events including visits to Washington D.C. and New York, participation in international symposia, and more;
- individual mentorship by a dedicated faculty Ambassador who assists in the development of the Scholar’s academic and professional life;
- global network of students and alumni from across countries and disciplines.
McDonnell Scholars come from varied degree programs and different countries in order to maximize the diversity of the program and create a rich dialogue and experience. Most of our Scholars reside together in the Academy’s housing complex, which provides Scholars with unique living, learning and social experiences.
This fellowship opportunity is open to prospective students applying to pursue an eligible full-time graduate or professional degree program at Washington University in St. Louis. Applicants from all countries are welcome.
- Priority is given to international graduate and professional candidates who are graduates of one of the Academy’s partners universities.
- Domestic (U.S.) citizens who have spent most of their life and earned previous degrees in the United States are eligible to apply to as U.S. Scholars.
- International graduate and professional candidates from international universities outside the partner network are eligible to apply as Global Scholars.
The McDonnell Academy accepts applications beginning October 1st 2020 through January 31st 2021. The application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to, an application to an eligible full-time graduate or professional degree program at Washington University in St. Louis. The McDonnell Academy application consists of the following components:
- candidate’s biographic information and academic history;
- a personal essay;
- a short video;
- recommendation letter.
Decisions are typically made by the end of March. Approximately 20 Scholars are admitted to the McDonnell Academy each year.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2021 (60 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link