The Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) is a nongovernmental organization whose Fund is solely based on donations from many Japanese people who have responded with goodwill to Dr. Shigeyoshi MATSUMAE’s call. While many donations have been kindly offered by corporations and groups, most of the donors are individuals who are sympathetic with the Founder’s ideals and maintain contributions to the Fund from their limited incomes.Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980. Now “2019 Research Fellowship Program” has been released.
Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 to 6 months, and commencing month and ending month between April 2019 and March 2020. (e.g. 5 months from June 2019 to October 2019). The number of fellowships provided is about 20 persons each year. Fields of research such as natural science, engineering, and medicine are considered with first priority. Applicants are free to select host institutions (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in the private sector) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are reminded that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications. MIF is not in a position to give advice or recommendation to an applicant for a host institution in Japan.
The following supports are provided to the successful applicants-
- Allowance for research and stay:
- ¥220,000- per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
- Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance: (1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment, (2) Sickness insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
- Air transportation:
- A coach class round-trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
- Start-up Fund upon arrival:
- ¥120,000- is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
- Study Tour:
To promote more profound understanding of Japan’s culture, tradition, and history, MIF organizes a Study Tour during the invitation period in Japan.
- Research Report:
MIF issues a “Research Report” containing voluntary reports received from the MIF research fellows upon the completion of the MIF research fellowship stay in Japan.
- Continued Contact:
In order to develop the global network among the fellows even after they go back to the home countries, MIF issues various publications and send them to the fellows.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
- Applicants must be of sound health.
- Apply online through the given link.
- For further information please visit the official website.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link