The ICGEB is a unique intergovernmental organization initially established as a special project of UNIDO. Autonomous since 1994, it runs 46 state-of-the-art laboratories, in Trieste, Italy, New Delhi, India and Cape Town, South Africa and forms an interactive network with over 65 Member States. It plays a key role in Biotechnology worldwide for excellence in Research, Training and Technology Transfer to industry to contribute in concrete terms to the achievement of sustainable global development and its operations are aligned to those of the United Nations System.
The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology ICGEB is an Intergovernmental Organisation and its operations are aligned to those of the United Nations Common System. It operates as a Centre of Excellence for Research, Training and Technology Transfer to industry to promote sustainable global development.
The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will evaluate complete applications received by the closing date. The candidates will be notified of the outcome by e-mail as soon as possible following the closing date for applications. The main criteria for selection include the scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV and the potential benefit in terms of mentoring and acquisition of new expertise.
- Duration: 6 months
- Monthly stipend: US$ 1,800 or equivalent
- Travel: the fellowship includes provision for travel expenses from the participant’s home country to the host lab at the beginning of the fellowship and a return travel provision upon completion of the fellowship.
- Medical health insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the fellowship.
- Visa/permit of stay application and renewal costs are reimbursed.
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the programme
- ICGEB New Delhi: a Guest House is run on campus, on a twin-share basis, for a nominal rate.
- ICGEB Cape Town: accommodation support is provided to fellows. Arrangements are agreed prior to arrival.
- For other ICGEB Member States, please get in touch with the hosting institution
- Applicants must be nationals of an eligible ICGEB Member State*, although priority will be given to candidates from Least Developed Countries
- Applicants may not apply for fellowships to be undertaken in their country of origin unless working abroad at the time of application
- Pre-doc and postdoc researchers may apply, although preference will be given to scientists having already completed their PhD/Master or equivalent
- No age limit applies, but preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45
- Good working knowledge of English is mandatory for fellowships at ICGEB New Delhi and Cape Town
Please note that you will be requested to upload the following documents in pdf format:
- Your full CV
- Written Statement from the ICGEB Group Leader or CV of the Principal Investigator of the identified hosting laboratory
- Applicants should contact the ICGEB Group Leader of their choice in New Delhi or Cape Town or the Principal Investigator of the identified hosting laboratory in one of the eligible ICGEB Member States* by sending a motivation letter and an outline of the proposed research project (2 pages maximum), to determine availability of laboratory space and define the proposal that will form an integral part of the application.
- A valid identification document (passport or identity card)
- For visits to ICGEB Component laboratories, English Certificate (TOEFL, Cambridge or similar), if available. This document is not requested when scholastic education has been undertaken in English. Different language certificates might be requested by other host institutions.
- Proposed projects must be innovative and fall within ICGEB research domain namely Health (Infectious Diseases and Non-Communicable Diseases), Sustainable and Effective Agriculture, Industrial Biotechnology and Renewable Energy (please see https://www.icgeb.org/science/ and ICGEB laboratories in New Delhi and ICGEB laboratories in Cape Town).
- A written statement from the Principal Investigator who is willing to support your project is mandatory to apply.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2021Application ClosedOfficial link