The Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) programme of the U.S. Department of State offers high school students the chance to study abroad for a full academic year in the country while attending high school and residing with an American host family. Students attend courses and take part in extracurricular activities with their American classmates while enrolled for the entire academic year at different high schools in the US. In addition, YES students take part in extracurricular activities that help them learn more about American culture, such as youth leadership development programmes, community service projects, and others.
Additionally, students act as “cultural ambassadors” in their host towns, introducing Americans to Pakistan and showcasing their rich and vibrant culture. Each year, the YES Programme is put into action by the U.S. Department of State in partnership with American Councils for International Education and its local non-profit partners, with participants currently hailing from 37 different nations. The YES programme is run in Pakistan in collaboration with iEARN-Pakistan and the Society for International Education. throughout 1,400 high school students from all throughout Pakistan have received scholarships under the YES Programme since it began in 2003. The program’s vision is “Together for a better world”.
By developing creative learning experiences, you may encourage people and communities to reflect, learn, collaborate, and develop for a better future. The Society for International Education (SIE) is a non-profit, non-governmental educational society with headquarters in Karachi that was established in accordance with the Societies Registration Act of 1860 KAR No.067/05. Its goals include the creation of international educational partnerships, the development of learning communities based on the effective use of technology, English language, teacher preparation, and student leadership. In order to create a global community of concerned organisations and citizens with the specific goal of assisting young people around the world in developing and carrying out educational and humanitarian projects, particularly projects of change and healing for the health and welfare of young people, SIE is dedicated to working with umbrella organisations, academic bodies, universities, non-governmental organisations, and governments.
- All major costs including airfare, U.S. visa fee, boarding and lodging in the United States, school tuition.
- A $200 USD monthly stipend.
- Be between the ages of 15-17 by the start of the program (August 15, 2024).
- Be enrolled in a secondary school in Pakistan and be in 9th or 10th grade or ‘O’ Levels at the time of application. (Note for O’ Level Students: Only O’ Level 9th grade or O’ Level 10th grade students are eligible to apply. O’ Level 11th graders are not eligible.)
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 60% or more. Must have a minimum grade point average of 60% in all major/core subjects (English, Mathematics, Sciences) and no failing grades in the past three years (2020-21, 2021-22, and 2022-23 academic years).
- Students with a gap year or a repeated year are ineligible.
- Be able to communicate in English.
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements (for instance, U.S. citizens are not eligible for J-1 visa)
- Be a citizen of Pakistan and reside in Pakistan. Dual nationals of any country will NOT be considered for the program.
- The student must not have traveled to the United States.
- Siblings and children of YES Program alumni are not eligible to participate in the program.
- Siblings and children of Society for International Education and iEARN Pakistan project staff are not eligible to participate in the program.
In addition to the above requirements, students who also meet the following criteria are more likely to be shortlisted for the final round of selection:
- The applicant can represent and demonstrate Pakistani culture and values at American schools and communities.
- The applicant demonstrates maturity, flexibility, adaptability, good character, and scholastic aptitude.
- The applicant is willing to participate in the host family’s daily life.
- The applicant has a record of all necessary immunizations, as outlined in the YES Program application, before arriving in the United States.
- The applicant demonstrates flexibility and a commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding.
- The applicant agrees to attend classes as a full-time student and maintain at least a ‘B’ grade average.
- The applicant agrees to abide by the ‘YES Program Student Rules’ as outlined in the YES Program application and all other rules and policies during the program.
- Open apply link
- Click on “How to Apply” button in the middle top.
- Check this link on how to download YES-2024-25 application, watch the YouTube videos there for guidance
- After downloading and printing the YES application, please check the below video links for each Form instructions on how to fill out the form. Note: Only use black ballpoint
Attach the following documents with completely filled YES-2024-25 application.
- Photocopies of last three-years mark sheets. Make sure the mark sheets must be school attested (stamped and signed by school official).
1. Final mark sheet of academic year 2020-21
2. Final mark sheet of academic year 2021-22
3. Final mark sheet of academic year 2022-23 (if the final exams result hasn’t been announced, attach the last school-based mark sheet) (Note for Cambridge students: they will have to submit the final mocks results having all the core subjects mentioned in the criteria instead of your Cambridge result.)
- Photocopy of NADRA’s Bay form / Smart card / FRC / Birth Certificate (anyone of them)
Make sure the photocopies are clear and readable. Blur or dark photocopies will not be considered. Also make sure the photocopies of your mark-sheets are complete. Incomplete photocopies of mark sheets will not be considered.
When the YES-2024-25 application is ready. Courier/post the duly filled application with required documents to the following address. YES-2024-25 Application Society for International Education 88-H, P.E.C.H.S. Block-6, Karachi.
Note: APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED THROUGH COURIER/POSTAL SERVICES.
Application Deadline: October 6, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link