The Next Generation Global Leaders Program “The Ship for World Youth Leaders” serves as a unique cross-cultural exchange program that aims to provide participating youth with the opportunity to enhance their leadership and management skills necessary to excel in an increasingly globalized world. By engaging in a series of expert-led seminars, and participant-led workshops and cultural activities, participants are challenged to deepen their mutual understanding, broaden global perspectives, and strengthen their spirit of international cooperation. Overall, the Ship for World Youth Leaders program aims to harness future leaders capable of contributing to society by exercising their leadership skills in various fields in global society while establishing a strong human network beyond borders.
The aims and objectives of the Ship for World Youth are:
- To foster the spirit and practice of international cooperation
- To promote friendship and mutual understanding between the youth of Japan and the youth of other parts of the world
- To broaden the international awareness of participants
- To develop youth capable of playing leading roles in various sectors of their societies and in turn contribute to the sound development of youth in their respective countries
The Ship for World Youth program is organized and implemented by the Management and Coordination Agency of the Japanese Government in conjunction with the Cabinet Office. The Government of Japan covers the cost of airfares to and accommodation in Japan and during the cruise. Only a small amount of spending money is needed for free time during port of call visits and to purchase items from the bar, vending machines & souvenir shop on board the Ship.
- Must be 18-30 years of age;
- Must be able to participate in the entire duration of the program;
- Must be in good physical and mental condition and can endure a long voyage; (also, the rules and regulations of the shipping company do not allow pregnant passenger/s to board the ship: therefore, those who are pregnant may not participate in this program)
- Must fully understand the meaning and the purpose of this program and are capable to act in harmony with the group in the course of the program;
- Can contribute greatly to the various activities for promoting sound development of youth and to play an active role in international exchange in the area of their communities, occupation, schools, youth organizations and the like;
- Have a good command of English to be able to participate in activities such as university-level discussions;
- Have interest in and certain understanding of Japan;
- Must have no prior experience in international youth exchange programs sponsored by the Cabinet Office.
- Must be a citizen of the listed countries.
- The Cabinet Office decides the participating countries, and recruits the participating youth from overseas in collaboration with the Japanese Embassies and the Ministry in charge of Youth Affairs in respective countries.
- To find out more, please contact the Japanese Embassy in your country.
- Information about how to apply may be obtained from the SWYAA in your country as well.