The annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
“What is Life?”
What does life mean to you? Have you had an experience that made you think about the meaning of life? What kinds of things can you do to cherish and invigorate your own life and all life on earth?
- Participation is free of charge.
- You can obtain a certificate of participation.
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of March 2021) and gift for 1 entrant.
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of March 2021) and gift for 3 entrants.
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift for 5 entrants.
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift for 25 entrants.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2021) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14)
- Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be typed, with your name and essay title included at the top of the first page.
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English or French, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese.
- There are no particular rules regarding formatting (font style, size, line space, etc.). However, essays must be submitted in either MS Word (DOC/DOCX) or PDF format.
- Only one entry per person is accepted.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person.
- Create your essay file in either MS Word (DOC/DOCX) or PDF format. Your essay must be typed, with your name and essay title at the top of the first page.
- Go to either “Individual” or “School/Organization” Entrant Registration page.
- After entering all required information, click “SUBMIT” button at the bottom of the page to create an account.
- When your account is successfully created, you will be automatically logged in to “My Account”.
- For “INDIVIDUAL”: In “My Account”, click “Add Essay” on the side menu, attach your essay by selecting the file on your computer, and click “SUBMIT”. Only one entry per person is accepted. Once your entry is successfully submitted, you can download your certificate from the “Download Certificate”.
- For “SCHOOL/ORGANIZATION”: In “My Account”, click “Add Student” on the side menu, register one student per row, attach each essay by selecting the file on your computer, and click “SUBMIT.” Only one entry per person is accepted. Once your entry is successfully submitted, you can download your students’ certificates from the “Student List” and your certificate from the “Teacher‘s Certificate of Participation” on the side menu.
- If you leave “My Account” page, you can log in again with your email address and password from “Entrant login” on the top menu.
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021 (32 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link