At YouTube, it is believed that the work of trusted journalistic organizations is as critical as ever, especially when it comes to providing information about current events online.
In July, they announced the steps they’re taking as part of the Google News Initiative to support the future of news in online video and our efforts to improve the news experience on YouTube. This included a $25M investment across the following three areas:
- News working group to collaborate with partners to help us develop new product features and improve the news experience on YouTube
- Innovation funding to provide capacity-building grants to news publishers
- Expanded support team for news partners around the world
They are pleased to share details on the application process for GNI YouTube innovation funding. Through this program, they will provide selected news organizations around the world with grants to support building stronger video capabilities and innovating with video formats.
Best practices gained from this program will be shared publicly, providing all newsrooms the opportunity to learn and apply insights as we work together to support the development of long-term, sustainable video businesses.
They are excited to hear your ideas and support the next generation of video journalism.
- Grant size will vary based on the application details and may be valued up to approximately $250,000 USD.
- As the application process moves forward, YoutTube will work with those selected to determine the appropriate grant size based on the specific proposal.
- They are looking for proposals where the news organization is invested in the success of the project, demonstrating a commitment to building out capabilities. As such, successful applications will include co-resource investment, which may include staffing or production resources.
- Successful applicants should be willing to showcase the projects and learnings that result from innovation funding, including the publishing of public case studies to be shared with news organizations around the world.
- Eligible projects must come from publishers, broadcasters, agencies, video creators and production companies that aim to produce news content that is factual, informative, and trustworthy. Collaborations amongst applicants are welcome.
- Eligible projects must demonstrate a scrupulous approach to journalistic practices including but not limited to news-gathering, fact checking, objectivity, balance and ethics.
- Eligible projects must focus on building capabilities to create video programming focused on topical news, current affairs and politics in formats that follow YouTube best practices and/or demonstrate a strategy to develop new formats to grow an engaged audience.
- Eligible applicants must demonstrate at least a basic level of video production and operations expertise and manage at least one YouTube channel with a minimum of 50,000 subscribers.
- Applications will be accepted from organizations headquartered in Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Greater China, Finland, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Philippines, Poland, United Kingdom, United States, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Vietnam.
- Please submit your application via the given form in the Apply Now link.
- Application deadline is October 12, 2018 at 23.59 PST. No applications will be accepted after this date.
- Successful applicants will be notified by December 1, 2018.
Application Deadline: October 12, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link