With funding from the Siwei Cheng Foundation of the Education Foundation of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, the TWAS-Siwei Cheng prize will recognize economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least 10 years. The prize reflects the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ strong support to TWAS and, more generally, seeks to build scientific capacity in the developing world. Bai Chunli, president of both the Chinese Academy and TWAS, played a central role in the creation of the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize.
TWAS is inviting nominations from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries. Nominations can only be submitted electronically through the online nomination platform and clearly state the candidate’s contribution to understanding and addressing economic sciences. Nominations of women social scientists and candidates from scientifically lagging countries are particularly encouraged. Selection of the awardees is made on merit and on the recommendations of the selection committees composed of TWAS members.
- From 2017 and for five years total, an annual prize of US$10,000 will be awarded in the field of Economic Sciences.
- The prize is accompanied by a medal.
- The prize will be presented on a special occasion, often coinciding with the General Meeting of TWAS.
- Candidates for the TWAS-Siwei Cheng Prize in Economic Sciences must be economic scientists who have been living and working in a developing country for at least ten years immediately before their nomination. They must meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- Scientific research achievement in economic sciences of outstanding significance for the development of scientific thought.
- Outstanding contribution to the application of economic sciences to sustainable development.
- Members of TWAS and candidates for TWAS membership are not eligible for the prize.
- Self-nominations will not be considered.
Apply online through the given link.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018Application ClosedOfficial link