Nominations are open for the TWAS─Abdool Karim Award in Biological Sciences 2020. This award, named after TWAS Fellow Quarraisha Abdool Karim. It is designed to honor women scientists in Low-Income African countries for their achievements in Biological Sciences.
The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), formerly known as the Third World Academy of Sciences, is a merit-based science academy established for developing countries, uniting 1,000 scientists in some 70 countries. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries.
- TWAS Fellow Quarraisha Abdool Karim carries a cash award of USD5,000 generously provided by Professor Abdool Karim.
- It is designed to honor women scientists in Low-Income African countries for their achievements in Biological Sciences.
- Eligible nominees for TWAS─Abdool Karim Award in Biological Sciences are female scientists national of a Low-Income African country who have been living and working there for at least two years immediately prior to their nomination. (i.e. from 18/2/2018).
- Fellows of TWAS are not eligible.
Nominate through the given link and nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self-nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where she has been working and living in the past 2 years;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the on-line platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements in Biological Sciences);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution to Biological Sciences. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee’s work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- A clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- Ph.D.: information on the subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honors received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s brief CV and her complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
The nominee’s h-index in Google Scholar and the associated number of citations.
Application Deadline: May 20, 2020Application ClosedOfficial link