The International Seabed Authority (ISA) is mandated to promote and encourage the conduct of marine scientific research in the international sea bed area – or the “Area” – and to coordinate and disseminate the results of such research. In line with this mandate, the Secretary-General’s Award for Excellence in Deep-Sea Research recognizes and encourages the achievements of young researchers from developing countries who have made outstanding contributions to the advancement of scientific knowledge of the deepsea environment or to the development of environmentally sustainable regulatory frameworks.
- Cash Prize: US$4,000.
- Cost of attendance of Awardee to annual Session of ISA’s Assembly covered.
- Cost of participation of Awardee to one ISA workshop on matters of expertise covered.
- Cost of publication fees of an article written by Awardee in scientific journal (open access journal) covered.
- Cost of participation in the upcoming joint TOML-NORI environmental and exploration campaign to the Clarion-Clipperton Zone (departing in November 2021).
The Secretary-General’s Award is intended to recognize individual accomplishment. However, there may be cases where the research has been undertaken by a team, consisting of eligible candidates. In this case, a team nomination may be submitted.
- The results of the research for which the nomination is submitted should have been published either in English or in French no earlier than one year prior to the date of submission.
- Any individual or team that has previously received the Secretary-General’s Award shall not be eligible for nomination.
The following documents should be attached to any nominations:
- A letter from the nominator summarizing the research and outlining the national or international significance of the work submitted. The letter should not exceed 750 words.
- The curriculum vitae of the candidate.
- Any publication derived from the research undertaken.
- Two letters from sponsors outlining the type and impact of the research carried out by the nominee and attesting to its significance and quality.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2021 (21 Days Remaining)Apply nowOfficial link