James Dyson is searching for bright minds with fresh ideas from around the globe for the James Dyson Award 2023. The James Dyson Award is an international design award that celebrates, encourages, and inspires the next generation of design engineers.
The James Dyson Foundation provides the money, materials, and mentorship that budding inventors need to get hands-on with problems, think laterally, and find solutions.
The James Dyson Foundation is a global technology enterprise of over 10,000 people. Nearly half of them are engineers. From acoustic to robotic, software to electronics, who use diverse skills to solve the problems others ignore.
As bright young minds shouldn’t miss out on an engineering career, the James Dyson Foundation was founded in 2002 to challenge misconceptions about engineering and combat the shortage.
The demand for engineers isn’t limited to the UK. People need them all over the world. The James Dyson Foundation launched in the US in 2011 followed by Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Singapore. The Foundation also runs activities in 21 other countries and regions, encouraging young people from across the globe to pursue an engineering career.
The Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology teaches the next generation of engineering enthusiasts: people with a passion for solving problems and a fascination for how things work. Students at the Institute work towards a degree in engineering while holding a real engineering job in Dyson’s cutting-edge Research, Design, and Development department.
Engineers are the world’s problem-solvers. To find practical solutions to the challenges of the 21st century, people need more of them. The James Dyson Foundation’s primary mission is to inspire young people to pursue a career in engineering.
Progress comes from research. The James Dyson Foundation makes targeted donations that enable medical breakthroughs and discoveries.
The James Dyson Foundation offers financial and educational support to local schools and charities near the Dyson office in Malmesbury.
- An award of £5,000 for the National winner.
- An award of £5,000 for the International runners-up.
- An award of £30,000 for the Sustainability winner.
- An award of £30,000 for the International winner.
- The opportunity of making a name as an inventor.
- Must be a current university student of engineering, product design, and industrial design or must have graduated in these subjects in the last four years.
- If an entrant doesn’t want to work alone, or if studied something else but has a brilliant idea and wants to share, entering as part of a team is allowed. In that case, the team leader must have studied one of the qualifying subjects, and all team members must be (or have been within the last four years) enrolled for at least one semester in an undergraduate or graduate program.
- The award is open to those completing degree-level apprenticeships, or those who have completed one in the past four years, in the field of engineering or design.
- All entrants must have undertaken studies in one of the following countries or regions: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the Philippines, Poland, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Registering is the first step in entering the competition, the registration form is available at the apply link.
- After completing registration, follow the instruction to submit the work.
- All team members must register an account. (If working as a team)
- One of the team members will be responsible for submitting the entry. (If working as a team)
Application Deadline: July 19, 2023Application ClosedOfficial link