Remember Samad Chacha?
The man who planted more than 50,000 trees in his lifetime, that too with an earning of just around 100 taka per day. This man with great passion has created an outstanding example for Bangladesh.
Now, you might be thinking what’s the fuss about planting trees? As you know Bangladesh has been struggling with air pollution for some time now. With Dhaka ranking, the 3rd worst on air quality makes the situation even worse.
How can trees help?
Planting trees is a cost-effective way to tackle urban air pollution. Trees are able to clean the air and absorb harmful airborne toxins and pollutants. Trees also absorb harmful carbon dioxide. In one year, an acre of mature trees absorbs the same volume of carbon monoxide as produced from a 26,000-mile car journey!
Now, what should we do?
It is high time that we start acting like a responsible citizen. To make the air we breathe clean, planting trees is the most effective solution. Samad chacha has shown us that each of us has a responsibility towards the environment. As he said “How much can I do alone? You all should plant trees.”
Keeping this in mind Youth Opportunities, have come up with an exciting project with The Daily Star and Volunteer for Bangladesh to take the legacy of Samad chacha forward by planting trees around us.
Caricature: Morshed Misshu.
- All the participants will get an e-certificate.
- The top 10 participants will get a crest.
- The best 3 participants will be announced as “The Champion” of the program.
- The 3 champions will be awarded with a flight ticket of Dhaka-Kuala Lumpur-Dhaka.
We encourage every citizen of Bangladesh to participate in the campaign.Eligible Regions: Bangladeshi citizen.
Follow these steps to take part in the competition. It can be near your home, campus or any other place where you think planting trees can have an impact.
- Select a place where you want to plant a tree and do it
- Plant as many trees as you want where you have access and permission.
- Click pictures or videos of your work (both while working and after getting done with it) and post it on your Facebook with #LoveForTree #WED2019 #WorldEnvironmentDay #BeatAirPollution
Rules for posting:
- Your post must contain a nice caption (English/Bangla) describing why you participated in the campaign and how you are going to contribute in beating the air pollution in future. It should also have some lines to encourage others towards this initiative.
- Your post (the pictures along with caption) must be shared from your Facebook account using the hashtags #LoveForTree #WED2019 #WorldEnvironmentDay #BeatAirPollution
- The post should be a public post so that you can encourage others as well
- Send us the link of your Facebook post at http://bit.ly/WED19Form
Selection Criteria of the Winner:
- Innovation and Creativity: We will look how innovative and creative a participant is while planting trees and encouraging others to plant trees.
- Presentation: Make sure you take nice images of the process that impresses the judges
- Encouragement: The caption should be reflecting the theme of World Environment Day 201p – “Beat the Air Pollution”. Also, the caption should be encouraging to motivate the youth of Bangladesh to work for the reduction of plastic pollution
- Choice of Place: The place you choose to plant trees will have a huge impact in the decision-making process while selecting the winner. The judges will look into the fact that on if the trees will sustain in the place or not.
Application Deadline: June 17, 2019Application ClosedOfficial link