Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
Deadline: September 15, 2014 | Views: 29
Interested applicants from India are invited to take part in Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program offered by The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF). The main purpose of this program is to strengthen foreign language instruction at US colleges and universities, while providing future foreign teachers of English with the opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency and extend their knowledge of US society and culture. FLTA fellows spend nine months serving as teaching assistants at US educational institutions while also taking courses in English teaching and US Studies as non-degree students. FLTA fellows also interact with the host community in conversation groups, extracurricular activities and community outreach projects.Selected FLTAs from India will teach Bengali, Hindi, or Urdu at select US campuses.
All FLTA fellows receive a monthly stipend, health insurance and travel support. US host institutions provide tuition awards to support the required coursework. Note: The FLTA program does not provide J-2 visas for spouses or dependents.
- Be citizens of India and qualified to hold a valid Indian passport. Persons applying for or holding permanent residence in the United States are not eligible. Fulbright fellows enter the US on an exchange visitor (J-1) visa and are subject to the two-year home residence requirement associated with J-1 visa. Applicants must be residing in India throughout the application, nomination and selection process.
- Applicants must clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
- Candidates should possess the equivalent of a US Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record. Indian applicants should have at least a Master’s degree by June 2015.
- Applicants must be English language teachers at the college level or training to become English language teachers.
- Prior teaching experience is preferred.