Nepal is Calling: Join as an Online Volunteer
Deadline: May 3, 2015 | Views: 55
Areas of expertise: Business and administration
Computing Languages: English, Nepali
Hours per week: 11-20
Duration in weeks: 2
Number of volunteers: 25
United Nations Volunteer – UNV are looking for online volunteers to coordinate their teams of online volunteer crisis mappers, supporting the global humanitarian response to the earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25. Volunteer crisis mappers currently work on 24/7 shifts to gather data and produce maps to support relief efforts of areas affected by the earthquake.
You will have two tasks:
- task one is to create a map with relevant text and images from public data sources. The aim is to ensure that responders have good information as they start their work.
- task two is to create an information resource for responders. The aim is to make sure responders know who is in need and who is responding, where and what they plan to do.
The coordinators will take part in their activation and assist coordinating about 300 online volunteers who now are logging information to Google docs.
There is a need for volunteers who have a minimum understanding of what kind of information is needed and how to organize it.
Skills in mapping is also welcomed as the information collected eventually might be mapped.
This is a standard procedure operation for Standby Task Force. The situation in Nepal is complex, they are in connection with volunteers on the ground as well as internationally, but connectivity is a challenge. Therefore they try to use all channels available to gather information.
Their volunteers easily get lost if they dont understand or manage the tasks they are asked to do. The coordinators will assist them in this
- Region or country: Nepal
- Development topic: Crisis prevention and recovery
- They use Skype and Googledocs for conversation and information exchange.
- Mapping and geolocation skills is needed, as well as a general understanding of dealing with large groups of people.
- Understanding Nepali is not needed, but will be appreciated.
- They need online volunteers who are available as soon as possible.
- Please upload your CV in your application.