Internship Applications Open for UNEP Regional Office for Europe
Deadline: August 6, 2015 | Views: 71
Location: Geneva, Switzerland.
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
The United Nations Environment Programme Regional Office for Europe (UNEP ROE) internship is for 4 to 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35-40 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Legal Officer / Environmental Governance Programme Coordinator of the Regional Office for Europe, the intern tasks will include the following:
Collection of information, legal researches and analysis, drafting of presentations, contributing to reports. Areas of work may include:
- Human Rights and Environment, Human Rights and Climate Change, environmental crimes, transboundary water courses, forests, access to justice, environmental rule of law, global commons.
- Other tasks as may be assigned with a legal/policy nature
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: be enrolled in:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Be computer literate in standard software applications;
Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
Have a demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Studies in Environmental Law or Public International Law preferred.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.http://www.youthop.com/internships/internship-applications-open-for-unep-regional-office-for-europehttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Internship-Applications-Open-for-UNEP-Regional-Office-for-Europe.jpghttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Internship-Applications-Open-for-UNEP-Regional-Office-for-Europe-150x150.jpgInternships