Apply to be an Intern at UN Peacekeeping in USA
Deadline: August 22, 2015 | Views: 139
Location: New York, United States of America.
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) and the Department of Field Support (DFS) internships are for an initial period of three (3) months with an opportunity for an extension of up to three (3) months, depending on the needs of DPKO/DFS.
This position is located in the Research and Liaison Unit of the United Nations Operations and Crisis Centre (UNOCC) / Peacekeeping Situation Centre (SitCen), which provides the UNOCC/SitCen with an analytical capacity to undertake in-depth mid to long-term research studies on current political, security and operational issues affecting UN field missions.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. Interns work five days per week under the supervision of a staff member in the office to which they are assigned.
Please note that the internship will be valid only as long as you are enrolled in a degree programme in a graduate school.
Under the overall supervision of the Coordination Officer, Research and Liaison Unit (RLU), the Intern will:
- Support the RLU in the preparation of analytical and background papers, weekly presentations to Member States (Troop and Police Contributing Countries);
- Support the Director of the UNOCC/SitCen in preparing presentations to the Senior Management;
- Support the UNOCC/SitCen in maintaining databases on incidents in field missions; and
- Undertake other assignments as required.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language, such as Arabic or French, is an advantage.http://www.youthop.com/internships/apply-to-be-an-intern-at-un-peacekeeping-in-usahttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/UN-Peacekeeping-in-USA.jpghttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/UN-Peacekeeping-in-USA-150x150.jpgInternships