Applications Open for Women, Peace and Security Internship at UN Women
Deadline: August 10, 2015 | Views: 143
Location: New York, United States of America.
Starting Date: 24-Aug-2015.
Duration: 4 months.
The Peace and Security Section leads on UN system-wide coordination on Women, Peace and Security, provides technical and financial support to the peace and security work of UN Women field offices, and implements a number of global initiatives that range from training women on mediation, peacekeepers on preventing and responding to sexual violence, and experts on investigation and documentation of international crimes, to rapidly deploying gender advisors to commissions of inquiry, peace talks, and post-conflict planning and financing processes, supporting gender-responsive public service delivery, and linking women in the community and grassroots organizations to police and other actors to ensure better protection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The intern will assist the Peace and Security team with ensuring follow-up to key commitments under 2122, continued implementation and reporting on existing global programmes, and support to the Global Study on 1325 and preparations for the General Assembly, Beijing plus 20 commemorations, and the high-level review on 1325 in the Security Council.
Specifically, the intern will:
- Provide technical support to communications and media-related work to promote the Global Study on 1325;
- Provide background research on relevant issues on demand, including in preparation for the 2015 global study on women, peace and security;
- Provide technical support to the preparations for Beijing plus 20 and the high-level review of 1325 in the Security Council;
- Support the team’s knowledge management efforts, including the global study’s microsite, the external website and the intranet;
- Flag relevant new research and publications;
- Support donor reporting for the team’s global programmes;
- Other tasks as required by the Peace and Security Section.
- Strong academic background in international development or peace and security;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent communications skills
- Required Skills and Experience
- Enrolled in a Master’s Degree programme in law, gender studies, international relations, human rights, development studies or related field.
- Experience working in an international environment would be desirable;
- Knowledge and understanding of post-conflict contexts, especially as related to women and gender issues.
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of one other UN official language is highly desirable.
UN Women Internship Policy:
- UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN Women during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan.
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact [email protected]http://www.youthop.com/internships/applications-open-for-women-peace-and-security-internship-at-un-womenhttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Women-Peace-and-Security-Internship-at-UN-Women.jpghttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Women-Peace-and-Security-Internship-at-UN-Women-150x150.jpgInternships