Call for applications for Young Leaders Visitors Programme 2017 is now open!
Deadline: December 5, 2016 | Views: 22,412
Funding: all costs related to accommodation, food and transport during YLVP are covered by SI.
Applications are invited for the Young Leaders Visitors Programme 2017 in Sweden. Young Leaders Visitors Programme (YLVP) is an intercultural leadership programme for young leaders from the Middle East, North Africa and Sweden.
The programme offers personal and professional development to leaders who work for positive social change in the fields of democracy, human rights, sustainability and equality. YLVP provides the tools necessary to accomplish greater social impact.
YLVP builds and strengthens individual leadership through group-centric methods such as collaboration, feedback and reflection. Participants will learn in group from merited facilitators and from each other, through workshops, practical exercises and hands-on performance.
To apply to the Young Leaders Visitors Programme (YLVP) you have to:
- be an NGO leader, legal worker, journalist, social worker, cultural worker, social entrepreneur, civil servant, youth politician or in another type of leadership role
- work actively for democracy, sustainability, diversity and/or human rights
- be between 22 and 32 years old (born 1984 – 1995)
- have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- be a citizen of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine*, Sweden, Syria, Tunisia or Yemen.
- *Palestinian ID holders, including Jerusalem ID.
Please note that we are not able to make any exceptions to the eligibility requirements. Only completed applications will be considered.
Accommodation, Food and Travel:
All costs related to accommodation, food and transport during YLVP are covered by SI. SI also arranges and pays for the participants’ air travel to and from Sweden and to the location of the second module of the programme. Each participant is responsible for transportation costs within her/his own countries.
Apply by filling out our YLVP Application Form 2017 and by going to our application portal. Only applicants who have submitted a complete application will be considered for the programme. A complete application consists of:
- a completed application form in English, including your contact details and the contact details of two reference persons;
- an updated CV in English;
- a letter of recommendation* (no more than 500 words) from a person who knows your work in the areas of democracy or human rights. The letter should motivate your participation in the programme with reference to the YLVP criteria; the letter should preferably be in English but could also be submitted in French or Arabic. We prefer that you use our template for the letter of recommendation, but it’s not compulsory. Templates are available in
- English, French and Arabic;
- a photo (not compulsory).
If you have any questions regarding the application form, please send an email to [email protected]
YLVP is made up of four weeks divided into two modules at separate times. Module one is three weeks long and always takes place in Sweden. Module two is one week long and takes place either in Sweden or in another location. The programme is in English.
In Sweden, 8–26 May, 2017
During the first module, we will dive straight into the experience-based leadership training with a focus on personal and group development. You will be an active participant in several seminars and workshops that touch on topics that are important and relevant to you and your ambitions – such as diversity, human rights, transparency, tolerance and other global challenges.
A substantial amount of time will also be dedicated to feedback, active listening and reflection. During the module, YLVP aims to create a safe space for you to explore your approach to driving social change. At the same time, you are expected to take a step out of your comfort zone and challenge your own behaviour as you go along.
The module involves advanced hands-on training with digital tools, tactics and security. All parts of the programme will be led by facilitators working actively in their respective field. Practical group assignments and project work run throughout the module in combination with at least one study visit to relevant Swedish organisations or institutions.
14–20 October, 2017 (location to be decided)
The second and final module takes place a few months after the end of Module 1, after you’ve had time to start implementing the lessons from the first module into your work. It will take place in Sweden or in another location.
The focus during Module 2 will be to maintain, build and expand the network, to continue the learning journey and follow up the development of your work. Just as the first module, this one includes workshops and seminars with speakers and builds on the sharing of the participants’ own experiences and knowledge.
Please note that the Young Leaders Visitors Programme is an intensive programme and all selected participants will have to commit to participating in all activities of both Module 1 and 2.
- Call for application opens: 4 November 2016
- Deadline for application: 5 December 2016
- Skype or Google Hangouts interviews: 23–31 January 2017
- Selected participants of YLVP 2016 will be informed by: 20 February 2017
- YLVP 2017 Module 1 in Sweden: 8–26 May 2017
- YLVP 2017 Module 2 (location to be confirmed): 14–20 October 2017