Call for Participants: World Forum for Democracy 2015
Deadline: August 31, 2015 | Views: 82
Type: Fully Funded
Date: 18-20 November 2015
The World Forum for Democracy will engage decision-makers, opinion leaders and social innovators in a
debate about the approaches to be adopted at the international, national, regional and local levels in
order to ensure the protection of freedom in democracy facing violence and extremism. The exchanges
will be based on initiatives and ideas by public authorities or grassroots actors, which will be examined
by an interdisciplinary international panel. General guiding principles will then be drawn up to
encourage and support future policy responses and field action.
The core content of the Forum will consist of discussions about successful initiatives and actions which have as a starting point real-life initiatives and untested, novel ideas, by public authorities or grassroots actors, which will be critically examined by an interdisciplinary international panel. General guiding principles will be then drawn to encourage and support future policy responses and field action. The initiatives and ideas to be presented at the forum will be discussed in labs and roughly cover the four following key categories:
- How much control kills democracy?
- Freedom from fear in a diverse society?
- Is learning of democratic culture adequate today?
- Is freedom of expression and information a reality?
75 young participants will be selected by the Youth Department of the Council of Europe in order to ensure a strong youth participation during the Forum. Prior to the Forum, the participants will study the initiatives (labs) and make contact with the organisers of the labs in order to receive further information about their structures. Afterwards the participants will select the laboratories they are interested in.
More details of the forum can be found here.
In order to be selected and participate in the World Forum 2015, applicants
- Be aged 16-30 (exceptions can be made in special cases);
- Be resident in one of the 50 signatory States of the European Cultural Convention of the Council of Europe; 30 places will be made available for participants from other regions outside the European continent;
- Be able to communicate and work in English;
- Be actively involved in civil society Democracy initiatives;
- Be motivated to contribute to developing new ideas on youth and democracy;
- Be supported by a youth organisation or network or informal group working on democracy; some non-organised individuals will also be accepted;
- Be ready to share own challenges faced in accessing freedom of expression and dealing with control and violence;
- Be ready to adopt a solution-oriented approach by bringing in new ideas and visions of democracy;
- Be ready to dream democracy;
- Be available to participate fully in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process beforehand
- Experience or involvement in the No Hate speech movement at local, national or international level will be an asset;
All the costs of the forum will be covered by the organizers. Travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant receipts, according to the rules of the Council of Europe. Only the participants who attend the entire event (pre-Forum meeting and World Forum) can be reimbursed. The payment will be made by bank transfer after the World Forum.
Prepaid tickets for travel can be arranged
1. An online application form should be completed via this link:
2. A short 1 minute video should be posted on YouTube, with the link attached to the online application form (see instructions in the call for participants).