Ubuntu People Challenge – With Alquity & World Merit
Deadline: November 13, 2015 | Views: 29
Ubuntu* People are socially responsible young people passionate about creating a positive role for business in society. YOU!
Ubuntu is an African word that means: “I am, because we are”.
- is between 18 – 30
- speaks (at least average) English
- has an interest in business, entrepreneurship, finance, social investment or is eager to learn about it
- has a passion to change the world for the better
Members will be judged on the following:
- The content of the story
- Their way of storytelling
- The impact they have made with their submission (how many has it reached, how far has its message spread).
- Ghana Trip:
The Ubuntu People trip will take place in Ghana, Africa, for a total of 2 weeks. Return flights are fully funded by Alquity from your nearest international airport. The 2 weeks will be spent with Afrikids and Concern Universal; immersing yourself in the work they are doing and their microfinance projects. You will spend some days living with a family who are direct beneficiaries of Alquity funding. You will get an iPhone 6 loaded with data ready for you to send photos, blogs, videos and to regularly update the rest of the world via social media. Once the trip is over, you will be featured as a guest blogger on our Alquity Blog, where you can write about issues around Responsible Business. The iPhone 6 will be with you until Merit360, where you can blog and update the world on your experiences again.
Both the campaign winner and the 5 runner ups will get a guaranteed place at World Merit’s program Merit360. Merit360 is to be the worlds most significant program for global citizens committed to tackle the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals. In August 2016, World Merit will gather 360 changemakers from all over the world in the USA for two weeks, to work on projects that will contribute in tackling the SDGs. It concludes in the United Nations Head Quarters in New York and will include many global leaders as speakers and mentors. The winner will speak about their experience in Ghana and/or about a theme that can be agreed upon by the winner, Alquity and World Merit. Find out more on the World Merit Website.
All 6 finalists will receive mentoring from one of the judges or influencers involved with World Merit and Alquity. Depending on the nature of your entry, your interests and your framework, you will be coupled with one of the judges as your mentor. You will have a few mentoring sessions, upon which will be agreed later.
To apply, you need to create a piece of content in the online medium of your choice (a video, photoessay, blog post, infographics…) telling us what you think is wrong about the relationship between business and society. Importantly, we also want to know how you’d go about making business a force for good.
Follow these steps:
- For videos: Use one of the frames or banners provided in the pack at either the beginning or end of your piece of content.
- Fill in the application form on the World Merit website.
- Submit your content for judging.
- Share the link to your content on Twitter and/or Facebook and make sure to use the hashtag #UbuntuPeople. You will receive a personalised link with your submission located on the World Merit website. Your ability to communicate and engage people on social media is important and will be taken into account by the judges.