Al Jazeera Innovation Challenge for Storytellers and Developers
Deadline: September 30, 2014 | Views: 12
Open to: storytellers, developers and designers
Prize: $25,000 in prizes
Al Jazeera wants to challenge storytellers, developers, and designers to come up with the most innovative nonlinear storytelling application. The application can be a Web or mobile application (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows Phone).
Nonlinear narrative is a storytelling technique used in literature and film where events are portrayed in nontraditional ways, such as non-chronological events or parallel story lines. They see nonlinear narrative as a real opportunity to innovate in storytelling, especially in the modern, technology-enabled day and age, where we use multiple powerful media devices, from laptops to phones, tablets, and even wearables.
Makers must create working software, a mature prototype, or hardware with a software component, that enables the creation and/or consumption of nonlinear narratives or media. Applications may include features that enable nonlinear storytelling, or the consumption of nonlinear narratives, or both.
In the spirit of Open Innovation, they require that any Applications written for the Challenge are licensed by Makers under one of the approved open source licenses from the Open Source Initiative.
- Individuals who are at least 15 years of age;
- Teams of eligible individuals;
- Organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry, and employ no more than 10 people.
- First Place: a cash award of $10,000 and invitation to a large innovation event held by Al Jazeera in Doha, Qatar, with travel and expenses paid. The winning solution will also be considered for incubation with Al Jazeera, including the possibility of further funding;
- Second Place: a cash award of $7,000 and invitation to a large innovation event held by Al Jazeera in Doha, Qatar, with travel and expenses paid;
- Third Place: a cash award of $5,000;
- People’s Choice: a cash award of $3,000.