The United Nations Sasakawa Award 2015 Open for Nominations
Deadline: October 31, 2014 | Views: 26
Nominations of individuals or organizations that are visionary and able to anticipate future needs are being accepted for the United Nations Sasakawa Award 2015 for Disaster Risk Reduction, under the theme ‘Shaping the Future.’
- $50,000 to Laureate
- Certificate of Distinction
- Certificate of Merit
The prize will be awarded at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction to be held in Sendai, Japan from 14-18 March 2015.
- Nominations can be made by – Former United Nations Sasakawa Award Laureates; individuals that are part of the UNISDR thematic platforms and other networks (this may include national or local government officials, NGOs, academic institutions, the private sector, regional organizations and those who took part in sessions of the Global platform for Disaster risk reduction; representatives of institutions dealing with disaster prevention and mitigation; and United Nations agencies, funds and programs and UN resident coordinators; permanent missions to UN offices around the world.
- Nominators must submit a letter of nomination.
- Nominees can be individuals, community groups, civil society organizations, government agencies at local or national level, NGOs or private sector entities.
- Nominees must demonstrate:
- A distinguished track record.
- An understanding of impacts of disasters and how to manage the risks we face.
The ability to transmit new insights and knowledge to the wider community on how to build resilience to disasters and live sustainably.
- The vision and charisma to engage the wider community in activities that help strengthen society’s ability to be resilient.
- The talent for making clear proposals and recommendations to influence disaster risk reduction policy based on evidence.
- The potential to shape the future of how disaster risk is prevented, reduced and managed.
- Previous winners cannot be nominated.
- Self nominations are not accepted.
The nomination letter must be followed by a package of supporting documents from the nominee. Supporting documents include – an essay written by the nominee describing the results of initiative they are undertaking to reduce the impact of disasters and build disaster resilience and the financial implications of the initiative that has been nominated. Other documents include (not mandatory) photos; power-point slideshow; video; books; character references; posters, pamphlets and similar printed material (excluding books).http://www.youthop.com/awards/the-united-nations-sasakawa-award-2015-open-for-nominationshttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/The-United-Nations-Sasakawa-Award-2015-1024x534.jpghttp://www.youthop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/The-United-Nations-Sasakawa-Award-2015-300x300.jpgAwardsAward,Sasakawa,United Nations